Unspoiled Serenity of Chakrata
Bored and stressed with the same routine life and nothing exciting to look forward to, I’ve been having a hard time coping with the reality of my life. Adventures are tough but routine is just lethal, that’s what I understood after not having anything new to try. The frustration was getting the best of me and that is when I thought that I should go on a vacation. I mean, you do not always need a reason to escape to the mountains but I so wanted to get away from everything at that point in time. We decided to take a break but the million-dollar question was- what should be our destination, where could we escape from everyday life? A friend came up with the name of Chakrata which, honestly I never heard before. He was sure that it’s just the perfect spot for us. I and a bunch of friends after packing few clothes hired a cab and embarked to the hills of Chakrata.
Tucked away in the mountains of Uttarakhand, Chakrata is one of the lesser-known hill stations and has suffered through the popularity of Kasauli and Chail. After about a night’s drive, we reached our destination early in the morning. Honestly, I was quite amazed by what I saw there. Surrounded by the green hills from all sides, it is a tiny but immensely beautiful town. The lush greenery and the mist-covered mountains add to the beauty of the place. After checking in the hotel and relaxing we decided to explore Chakrata. Impressed by its pristine surroundings and natural splendor we decided to take a stroll around the town. These lush green forests are perfect for long walks. Each and every scene was like a lovely painting. The well-maintained roads, simple villages, and friendly locals all added to come up with this unique place.
Our first destination was Tiger Falls which is the most popular attraction near Chakrata. After a trek of about 5 km, Tiger Falls is a lovely gushing waterfall in the midst of dense forests falling from an altitude of about 50 m. An ideal picnic spot, Tiger Falls truly has an enchanting effect on its visitors. They can have fun playing in the ice-cold water and enjoy under the natural shower. After having a lot of fun under the waterfall we moved to Kansas for lunch. It is a beautiful village at about one and half hour drive from Chakrata. The simple and friendly people from the village are hospitable and make you feel welcomed. After having food we decided to come back to the hotel. The first day at Chakrata was perfect with fun amidst nature.
The next day we headed to a tiny village called Hanol situated on the left bank of River ‘Tons’ which was earlier known as River Tamsa. It is believed to be the same place where the Pandavas from the epic Mahabharata escaped from Lakshagriha. According to a belief, the water of River ‘Tons’ is actually the tears from the eyes of the son of Arjun, one of the Pandavas ‘ brothers.
We also visited ‘Mahasu Devta’ Temple which is located on the eastern bank of the Tons River and attracts many tourists. Built in the 9th century, the temple is dedicated to Lord Mahar. Originally, constructed in Huna architectural style, it has been renovated many times and acquired a mixed style.
After having a great time in Chakrata, it was time for us to say goodbye. It was an awesome trip where we literally lost ourselves to nature. It was time to go home and the memories we created there would always remain with me for the rest of my life.
So if you plan a trip to Chakrata hill station, make sure to visit one of these amazing hills in Uttarakhand. You will surely have a great time enjoying the breathtaking views and relaxing in the serenity of nature.
Places to visit Chakrata
Tiger Falls is one of the most famous tourist attractions in Chakrata. It is located at a distance of 5 km from the town and is a beautiful waterfall surrounded by lush green forests. The waterfall is named after the tigers that used to come to drink water from the falls. It is a perfect spot for a picnic, and one can also take a dip in the cool waters.
Chilmiri Neck is a popular viewpoint located 4 km from the town. It offers panoramic views of the surrounding hills and valleys. The place is ideal for nature lovers and photographers, who can capture the breathtaking beauty of the Himalayas.
Budher Caves are a series of underground caves located in the Budher Village, about 12 km from Chakrata. These caves are formed by the natural erosion of limestone rocks and are an ideal destination for adventure enthusiasts. The caves have narrow passages, and one has to crawl through some of them.
Kanasar Wildlife Sanctuary:
Kanasar Wildlife Sanctuary is a beautiful sanctuary located about 15 km from Chakrata. The sanctuary is home to a variety of animals, including musk deer, leopard, barking deer, and Himalayan black bear. It is also a birdwatcher’s paradise, with over 50 species of birds found here.
Deoban is a beautiful destination located about 16 km from Chakrata. It is situated at an altitude of 2,200 meters and is covered with dense forests of deodar trees. The place offers breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains and valleys.
Ram Tal Horticultural Garden:
Ram Tal Horticultural Garden is a beautiful garden located about 6 km from Chakrata. The garden is spread over an area of 7 hectares and has a variety of fruit trees, including apples, peaches, and apricots. The garden also has a small lake, which adds to its beauty.
Kalsi is a historic site located about 45 km from Chakrata. It is known for its ancient rock edicts, which date back to the 3rd century BC. The edicts were inscribed by Emperor Ashoka and are an important historical landmark in India.
Chakrata is a beautiful destination that offers a range of attractions for visitors. The town is a perfect getaway for nature lovers, adventure enthusiasts, and history buffs.
Activity on Chakrata
Chakrata is a great place for adventure activities, nature walks, and wildlife experiences. Here are some popular activities to enjoy in Chakrata:
- Trekking: Chakrata is a trekker’s paradise with various trekking routes to explore. Some of the popular trekking routes are Tiger Falls, Deoban, and Budher Caves.
- Camping: Chakrata has several beautiful camping sites surrounded by forests and mountains. One can pitch a tent and enjoy the peaceful surroundings, starry nights, and bonfire.
- Nature Walks: The town is surrounded by dense forests of oak and rhododendron trees, making it a perfect place for nature walks. One can explore the surrounding areas and enjoy the serene beauty of nature.
- Wildlife Safari: Kanasar Wildlife Sanctuary is a perfect place for wildlife enthusiasts. One can enjoy a safari and spot a variety of animals like musk deer, leopard, barking deer, and Himalayan black bear.
- Rock Climbing and Rappelling: Adventure enthusiasts can enjoy rock climbing and rappelling at various spots in Chakrata.
- Fishing: Chakrata has a few spots for trout fishing. One can enjoy the thrill of catching fish in the crystal-clear streams.
- Bird Watching: The Kanasar Wildlife Sanctuary is a birdwatcher’s paradise with over 50 species of birds found here. One can enjoy bird watching and capture some amazing shots of the birds in their natural habitat.
Chakrata is a perfect destination for adventure lovers and nature enthusiasts. One can enjoy a range of activities and make memories for a lifetime.
How to reach Chakrata
Chakrata is well connected by road and can be easily reached from major cities in North India. Here are the ways to reach Chakrata:
- By Air: The nearest airport to Chakrata is the Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun, which is about 98 km away. From the airport, one can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach Chakrata.
- By Rail: The nearest railway station to Chakrata is the Dehradun Railway Station, which is about 87 km away. From the railway station, one can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach Chakrata.
- By Road: Chakrata is well connected by road with major cities in North India. One can take a bus or hire a taxi from Dehradun, Mussoorie, or Delhi to reach Chakrata. The distance from Dehradun to Chakrata is about 87 km, from Mussoorie to Chakrata is about 60 km, and from Delhi to Chakrata is about 320 km.
It is advisable to check the weather conditions and road conditions before planning a trip to Chakrata. The best time to visit Chakrata is from March to June and from September to December when the weather is pleasant, and the skies are clear.
Where to Stay
Chakrata has several accommodation options for visitors, including hotels, resorts, and guesthouses. Here are some of the popular places to stay in Chakrata:
- Hotel Snow View: Hotel Snow View is a popular hotel located in the heart of Chakrata. The hotel offers comfortable rooms with modern amenities like attached bathroom, TV, and 24-hour room service. The hotel also has a restaurant serving delicious food.
- Ojaswi Himalayan Resort: Ojaswi Himalayan Resort is a beautiful resort located in the Kanasar village near Chakrata. The resort offers well-furnished rooms with a balcony overlooking the mountains. The resort also has a restaurant serving local cuisine.
- Blue Canvas Resort: Blue Canvas Resort is a beautiful resort located in the picturesque surroundings of Chakrata. The resort offers spacious rooms with modern amenities like a private bathroom, TV, and balcony. The resort also has a restaurant and a bar.
- The Deodar Homestay: The Deodar Homestay is a beautiful guesthouse located in the Budher village, about 12 km from Chakrata. The guesthouse offers comfortable rooms with modern amenities like a private bathroom and 24-hour room service. The guesthouse also serves homemade food.
- Hotel Burans Breeze: Hotel Burans Breeze is a beautiful hotel located in the Deoban area near Chakrata. The hotel offers comfortable rooms with modern amenities like a private bathroom, TV, and balcony. The hotel also has a restaurant serving delicious food.
There are several other accommodation options in Chakrata to suit every budget and requirement. It is advisable to book in advance, especially during the peak season.
Here are some essential information and tips to keep in mind while planning a trip to Chakrata:
- Best Time to Visit: The best time to visit Chakrata is from March to June and from September to December when the weather is pleasant, and the skies are clear.
- Weather: Chakrata has a moderate climate, with temperatures ranging from 10°C to 25°C during the summer months and from 0°C to 15°C during the winter months.
- Clothing: It is advisable to carry warm clothes, especially during the winter months. Comfortable walking shoes are recommended for trekking and nature walks.
- Local Transport: Local transport in Chakrata includes taxis, buses, and jeeps. It is advisable to negotiate the fare before boarding.
- Permits: A permit is required to visit the Kanasar Wildlife Sanctuary. The permit can be obtained from the forest department office in Chakrata.
- Cash and ATMs: It is advisable to carry enough cash as there are limited ATMs in Chakrata. Credit and debit cards are not accepted at most places.
- Medical Facilities: Chakrata has a primary health center, but it is advisable to carry a basic medical kit and any essential medicines.
- Phone and Internet Connectivity: Phone and internet connectivity is limited in Chakrata, especially in remote areas.
- Local Customs: It is advisable to respect the local customs and traditions and seek permission before taking photographs of locals or their properties.
- Safety: Chakrata is a safe place, but it is advisable to take necessary precautions and avoid venturing out alone at night. It is also advisable to carry a map and inform someone of your travel plans.