City Palace is a magnificent palace complex located in the heart of Udaipur, Rajasthan, India. It was built by the Maharana Udai Singh II in the 16th century, and is considered one of the largest palaces in Rajasthan. The palace is situated on the east bank of Lake Pichola and boasts a stunning view of the lake and the surrounding mountains.
The City Palace is a blend of Rajasthani and Mughal architectural styles, and has been built with pink marble and granite. It is a sprawling complex of courtyards, gardens, and buildings, and has several impressive structures within its walls, including the Amar Vilas, Badi Mahal, Bhim Vilas, Durbar Hall, and Sheesh Mahal.
Visitors can explore the palace and its many rooms and galleries, which house a vast collection of artifacts, paintings, and sculptures that offer a glimpse into the opulent lifestyle of the Rajput rulers. The palace also has a museum that showcases the history and culture of the Mewar dynasty.
The City Palace is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Udaipur and is open to visitors throughout the year. It is a must-visit for anyone interested in history, architecture, and the arts.
The City Palace of Udaipur was built over a period of almost four centuries, beginning in the 16th century. It was commissioned by Maharana Udai Singh II, who was the founder of the city of Udaipur and the ruler of the Mewar kingdom. The palace was built in stages by the successive rulers of the Mewar dynasty, and each ruler added his own unique features and embellishments to the palace.
The palace complex is a fusion of Rajasthani and Mughal architectural styles. The palace was built using pink marble and granite, and the walls are adorned with intricate carvings and filigree work. The palace was designed to be a symbol of the power and wealth of the Mewar rulers, and it served as the center of their administrative and cultural activities.
The City Palace has been witness to many important events in Indian history. During the colonial era, the palace was the site of a significant uprising against British rule. The Mewar rulers played an important role in the Indian independence movement, and the palace served as a hub of political activity during that time.
Today, the City Palace is an important cultural and historical landmark in Udaipur, and it is open to visitors who wish to learn more about the rich history and heritage of Rajasthan.
How will you gain access?
Udaipur Airport is located at a distance of 24 km from the city. Indian Airlines operates daily flights connecting Udaipur to cities like New Delhi, Jaipur, Jodhpur, Aurangabad, Ahmedabad, and Mumbai. The railway station is about 4 km from the city center. There are train services linking Udaipur to Ajmer, Chittorgarh, Jaipur, Indore, and Delhi. Video coaches, State buses, deluxe buses, and air-conditioned buses are available on the routes of Udaipur-Jaipur, Udaipur-Delhi, and Udaipur-Ahmedabad.
What are the timings and the entry charges?
The City Palace remains open from 09-30 to 16-30 hours. To enter the City Palace Museum, one has to pay an entry charge of Rs 25 or Rs 15 for children. If one enters the museum from the Lake Palace side, the entry fee amounts to Rs 75.
What goes behind the architecture?
A collection of numerous remarkable buildings, the City Palace represents a fabulous blend of Medieval European and Chinese styles of architecture. From the upper terraces, one can have splendid views of the lake and the city. The palace can be approached from the northern end through the Baripole and the Tripolia Gate. There are eight carved marble arches between the two gates. It was customary for the Maharanas to be weighed under the gate, with their weight in gold or silver being distributed to the populace. The exterior of the palace has a rugged look but inside, there are a number of luxurious apartments surmounted by balconies, hanging gardens, towers, and cupolas. The main part of the palace has now been converted into a museum namely the City Palace Museum. The museum exhibits a rich collection of artifacts. The MorChowk bears beautiful mosaics of peacocks, the favorite Rajasthani bird. The Manak Mahal or the Ruby Palace has excellent glass and mirror work. The Krishna Vilas has an interesting collection of miniatures. The ChiniMahal is known for its Chinese and Dutch ornamental tiles. The Surya Chopra has a huge ornamental sun which the symbol of the Mewar dynasty, tracing its origin to the sun. The Zenana Mahal, the Dilkhush Mahal, and the Laxmi Vilas Chowk are the other popular attractions of the palace.
Things to do
There are many things to see and do at the City Palace in Udaipur. Here are some of the top attractions and activities to enjoy while visiting the palace:
- Explore the Palace Complex: The City Palace is a sprawling complex of buildings, courtyards, and gardens, and there is plenty to explore. You can wander through the various halls and rooms of the palace, admiring the intricate artwork and architecture. Be sure to check out the Sheesh Mahal, or Palace of Mirrors, which is adorned with thousands of tiny mirrors that reflect light and create a dazzling effect.
- Visit the Museum: The City Palace Museum is home to a vast collection of artifacts, paintings, and sculptures that offer a glimpse into the history and culture of the Mewar dynasty. The museum’s galleries are filled with displays that showcase the royal lifestyle, including costumes, jewelry, and weaponry. There is also a section dedicated to the history of the palace itself, as well as exhibits that focus on the local flora and fauna.
- Enjoy the Views: The City Palace is situated on the east bank of Lake Pichola, and the palace grounds offer stunning views of the lake and the surrounding mountains. Take a stroll through the gardens and courtyards, or find a spot to sit and enjoy the scenery.
- Take a Boat Ride: A boat ride on Lake Pichola is a must-do activity while in Udaipur. You can hire a boat from the City Palace pier and take a tour of the lake, admiring the beautiful scenery and historic landmarks along the way.
- Attend a Cultural Performance: The City Palace is known for its cultural events and performances, which showcase the traditional music, dance, and art of Rajasthan. There are often performances held in the palace courtyards, so be sure to check the schedule and attend a show during your visit.
- Shop for Souvenirs: The palace complex is home to a variety of shops and markets where you can find locally made crafts, jewelry, and textiles. This is a great place to pick up souvenirs and gifts to take home with you.
Overall, a visit to the City Palace in Udaipur is a must-do activity for anyone visiting Rajasthan. Whether you’re interested in history, art, culture, or just soaking up the beautiful scenery, there is something for everyone to enjoy at this iconic palace complex.
What are the nearby attractions?
There are several nearby attractions to the City Palace in Udaipur that are worth visiting. Here are some of the top attractions that you can explore while in the area:
Located just a short walk from the City Palace, Jagdish Temple is a stunning example of Indo-Aryan architecture. The temple was built in the 17th century and is dedicated to Lord Vishnu. It features intricately carved stone sculptures and a large black stone idol of Lord Jagannath.
Saheliyon Ki Bari:
This beautiful garden is located a short distance from the City Palace and is known for its fountains, marble elephants, and lotus pools. Saheliyon Ki Bari was built in the 18th century as a retreat for the royal ladies, and it remains a peaceful and relaxing place to visit today.
Fateh Sagar Lake:
This picturesque lake is located just a few kilometers from the City Palace and is a popular spot for boating and picnicking. There are several small islands in the lake, and visitors can take a boat ride to explore them.
This hilltop palace is located about 10 kilometers from the City Palace and offers stunning views of the surrounding countryside. The palace was built in the 19th century as a retreat for the royal family during the monsoon season.
This beautiful lake is the centerpiece of Udaipur and is home to several historic landmarks, including the City Palace, the Jagmandir Palace, and the Lake Palace. Visitors can take a boat ride on the lake to explore the various attractions and enjoy the stunning scenery.
Bagore Ki Haveli:
This historic mansion is located on the banks of Lake Pichola and is known for its intricate architecture and cultural performances. The haveli has been converted into a museum and cultural center, and visitors can explore its many rooms and galleries to learn more about the history and culture of Rajasthan.
Overall, the City Palace is surrounded by a wealth of cultural and natural attractions that make it a great destination for anyone visiting Udaipur. Whether you’re interested in history, architecture, or just soaking up the local culture, there is something for everyone to enjoy in this vibrant and picturesque city.
Where to Stay
There are a variety of accommodation options available for visitors to Udaipur, including many hotels and resorts that are located near the City Palace. Here are some of the top options to consider:
- The Leela Palace Udaipur: This luxurious hotel is located on the banks of Lake Pichola, offering stunning views of the lake and the City Palace. The property features an outdoor pool, a spa, and several restaurants serving a range of cuisine.
- Taj Lake Palace: This historic hotel is situated on an island in Lake Pichola, just a short boat ride from the City Palace. The palace was built in the 18th century and has been converted into a hotel with luxurious rooms, a spa, and several restaurants.
- Fateh Prakash Palace: This grand palace was built in the late 19th century and has been converted into a heritage hotel. The property features ornate architecture and spacious rooms, as well as several restaurants, a spa, and a pool.
- Jagat Niwas Palace: This boutique hotel is located on the banks of Lake Pichola, offering stunning views of the lake and the City Palace. The property features charming rooms with traditional decor, as well as a rooftop restaurant and a pool.
- Amet Haveli: This historic haveli is located near the City Palace and features ornate architecture and traditional decor. The property has been converted into a hotel with spacious rooms, a rooftop restaurant, and a pool.
Overall, there are many great accommodation options to choose from in Udaipur, ranging from luxurious hotels to historic havelis. Whether you’re looking for a grand palace or a charming boutique hotel, you’re sure to find the perfect place to stay while exploring this beautiful city.
Sure, I’d be happy to answer some frequently asked questions about the City Palace in Udaipur:
What is the City Palace in Udaipur?
The City Palace is a sprawling palace complex in the heart of Udaipur, Rajasthan. It was built over a period of several centuries by various rulers of the Mewar dynasty and features a blend of Rajasthani, Mughal, and European architectural styles.
What are the opening hours of the City Palace?
The City Palace is open to visitors from 9:30 am to 5:30 pm every day.
How much does it cost to visit the City Palace?
The entry fee for the City Palace is INR 300 for Indian nationals and INR 600 for foreign nationals. There are additional fees for photography and videography.
What are some of the top things to see at the City Palace?
Some of the top attractions at the City Palace include the Mardana Mahal, the Zenana Mahal, the Durbar Hall, the Crystal Gallery, and the Amar Vilas terrace.
Is it possible to hire a guide at the City Palace?
Yes, there are licensed guides available for hire at the City Palace. They can provide valuable insight into the history and architecture of the palace complex.
Is there a dress code for visiting the City Palace?
There is no specific dress code for visiting the City Palace, but it is recommended to dress modestly and respectfully, covering shoulders and knees.
Is the City Palace accessible for visitors with disabilities?
The City Palace is a historic complex with many stairs and uneven surfaces, and some areas may not be accessible for visitors with disabilities. However, the palace staff is generally accommodating and can provide assistance to visitors as needed.
Are there any restaurants or cafes at the City Palace?
Yes, there are several restaurants and cafes located within the City Palace complex, serving a range of cuisine from traditional Rajasthani to international dishes.