5 Reasons Coconut Oil should be in Your Diet
The all-or-nothing approach has many people believing that fat should be eliminated from their diet as much as possible. To a certain extent this is true; unhealthy fats, such as trans fats, should be reduced or eliminated because consumption of them can lead to adverse health effects. But not all fats are created equal. You probably already know that olive oil is a heart-healthy fat to include in your diet, but did you know coconut oil is, too? Learn more about coconut oil and why this tropical, saturated fat is one of the healthiest oils you can include in your diet.
- Lose Weight. Healthy coconut oil can help you lose weight by making you feel more satiated. This is especially helpful to those who feel hungry all the time. If you want to avoid excessive snacking and overeating, use a tablespoon of coconut oil as you prepare each meal to feel fuller.
- Avoid the Common Cold. Coconut oil is known to boost the immune system and help fight illness. It also contains lauric acid—a natural anti-viral, antibacterial, and anti-microbial property. If you’re prone to colds and would like to stop spending the winter months coughing, sneezing and blowing your nose, coconut oil can help you improve your health.
- Reduce Pain from Inflammation. In addition to having anti-viral and antibacterial properties, coconut oil is also an anti-inflammatory. This is good news for those with chronic inflammatory illnesses such as arthritis and colitis. Consuming coconut oil in addition to the course of treatment recommended by your doctor can help you reduce pain from inflammation.
- Stronger Teeth and Bones. Many health advocates promote calcium and magnesium supplements to those concerned about bone health. If you count yourself amongst those who want to improve bone density, coconut oil can be your ally in this as it helps to improve your body’s absorption of these two minerals.
- Improved Energy. Who amongst us doesn’t need more energy these days? The medium-chain fatty acids found in coconut oil are processed more easily by your body and any excess fat is used by the body instead of being stored in your fat cells. Heart-healthy coconut oil raises the temperature of your body and boosts metabolism, helping you to feel more energetic and alert. As your metabolism and energy increase, you’ll feel more motivated to exercise, which promotes weight loss and good health.
If you’d like to feel healthier and make your diet work for you, coconut oil is a fat that should be included in your diet daily. This solid fat can be used in place of cooking oil or butter for your steamed vegetables, baked goods, or other meal items. Those who sing the praises of coconut oil consume between one and three tablespoons daily to achieve maximum benefits. Start slowly, with one tablespoon each day, and increase over time. In addition to incorporating coconut oil into your diet, you can also use it on your hair and skin to combat dryness.