Digha Tourism in West Bengal India
Digha is a town located in the state of West Bengal, India. It is a popular beach destination, known for its long stretches of sandy beach and gentle waves, which make it suitable for swimming and sunbathing. Digha is also a gateway to other popular tourist destinations in West Bengal, such as Mandarmani, Shankarpur, and Tajpur. The town is well-connected by road and rail, and there are a number of hotels, guest houses, and resorts available for accommodation. Tourists can enjoy a variety of activities while visiting Digha, such as swimming, sunbathing, fishing, boating, and sightseeing. The town is also home to a number of temples and other religious sites, which can be visited by tourists.
Things to do and see and Attraction
There are many things to see and do in Digha. Some of the popular attractions in the town include:
- Digha Beach: This is the main attraction in Digha and a great place to relax and enjoy the sun, sand, and sea.
- Marine Aquarium: This is a popular tourist destination, where visitors can see a variety of marine life, including fish, crabs, and dolphins.
- Amravati Temple: This is a beautiful temple dedicated to the goddess Amravati. The temple is known for its intricate carvings and beautiful architecture.
- Digha Science Centre: This is a great place for visitors who are interested in science. The centre has a number of interactive exhibits and displays that explain various scientific concepts.
- New Digha: This is a newer part of Digha, which has been developed as a tourist destination. It has a number of hotels, resorts, and restaurants, and is a great place to stay during a visit to Digha.
- Mandarmani: This is a popular beach destination located about 15km from Digha. It is known for its long stretches of sandy beach and is a great place to relax and unwind.
- Shankarpur: This is another popular beach destination located about 20km from Digha. It is known for its peaceful atmosphere and is a great place to escape crowds.
- Tajpur: This is a beautiful beach destination located about 25km from Digha. It is known for its clean beaches and is a great place to relax and enjoy the natural beauty of the area.
How to reach
Digha is well-connected by road and rail and can be easily reached from major cities in West Bengal and other parts of India.
By air: The nearest airport to Digha is Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport in Kolkata, which is located about 180km from the town. From the airport, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach Digha.
By rail: Digha has its own railway station, which is well-connected to major cities in the region. There are regular trains from Kolkata, which take about 4-5 hours to reach Digha.
By road: Digha is well-connected to other cities in West Bengal by road. There are regular bus services from Kolkata, which take about 4-5 hours to reach Digha. Private taxis and cabs are also available for hire.
Best time to visit
The best time to visit Digha depends on your preference and the kind of weather you enjoy. Here is a brief overview of the weather in Digha throughout the year:
- October to March: This is the winter season in Digha and the weather is pleasant, with average temperatures ranging from 20°C to 25°C. This is the best time to visit Digha if you enjoy cooler weather and want to avoid crowds.
- April to June: This is the summer season in Digha and the weather is hot and humid, with average temperatures ranging from 30°C to 35°C. This is the peak tourist season in Digha and the beaches are crowded.
- July to September: This is the monsoon season in Digha and the weather is humid and rainy. The sea is rough during this time and the beaches are not suitable for swimming.
In general, the best time to visit Digha is from October to March, when the weather is pleasant and the crowds are not too large.
Best food in Digha
- Fish curry: This is a staple dish in Digha and is made with a variety of fresh fish, cooked in a spicy curry sauce.
- Fish fry: This is another popular dish in Digha, made with fresh fish that is coated in a mixture of spices and deep-fried.
- Crab curry: Crab curry is a delicacy in Digha, made with fresh crabs cooked in a spicy curry sauce.
- Prawn curry: Prawn curry is another popular dish in Digha, made with fresh prawns cooked in a spicy curry sauce.
- Fish rolls: Fish rolls are a popular snack in Digha, made with fresh fish that is wrapped in a paratha (flatbread) and deep-fried.
In addition to seafood, you can also find a variety of vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes in Digha, including rice, daal, and curry, as well as Indian and Chinese-style noodles, and tandoori chicken. There are many restaurants and street food stalls in Digha that serve a variety of dishes at reasonable prices.
Sharing is caring