Guide Tour - Explore Travel Destinations In India - Make Your Tour

Expats Staying Australia

Expats Staying Australia

30 Tips For Expats Staying In Australia

If you’re moving to Australia with the intent of settling there, you will need all the help you can get to make a smooth transition. Australia is a beautiful, friendly country that welcomes immigrants and workers from all over the world. With the resourceful tips we provide here, you can be a part of the Australian culture from day one.

Moving To Australia

  1. You will have to pay both sales and customs taxes for anything you bring over the AU$ 400 worth of personal items.
  2. Get an inspection certificate for your pets and attach a microchip to your pet’s collar before flying to Australia.
  3. Get a list of Australian national holidays and avoid initiating shipping, moving, or transactions these days.
  4. Contact the Australian Housing Department for emergency housing assistance if you’re unable to find a place to say.
  5. Call Job Services Australia at 13 6268 for help locating a suitable job if you’re not able to locate one by yourself.
  6. You can carry cash when to move to Australia; even though you have to declare it, you won’t be taxed at customs.
  7. Full-time wages in Australia average around A$68,791; average wages differ for men and women in Australia so be sure to check.
  8. The percentage of income tax you pay depends on your earnings. For the average earning of A$68,791, 30% of IT is levied.
  9. The average price of a home in Australia varies depending on the region; a home that costs A$387,000 in Adelaide will cost you A$550,000 in Sydney.

Living In Australia

Living In Australia

  1. Enroll in Medicare a week after you arrive in Australia for the documents you need to carry and other relevant info.
  2. If you open a bank account within 30 days, your driver’s license, passport, and visa will be sufficient documentation. If you delay, you will be asked to provide TFN and proof of address as well.
  3. Register with Centrelink to avail of a range of social security services. You can get help with cultural adjustments, looking for work, and so on, along with social security payments.
  4. Contact the Health Undertaking Service at 1800 811 334 to know where you can get your medical checkups and followups done.
  5. Obtain a driver’s license before your first three months are over; your home country’s driver’s license is not valid after this period. Note that in Tasmania and Western Australia, you can drive with your home country’s license till 3 months after you get your permanent residency visa.
  6. The Australian emergency number is 000 for the Fire Brigade, the Police, and Ambulatory services.
  7. Contact the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) to avail of settlement services. These services are designed to help to facilitate your migration.
  8. Sign rental leases for short periods only; if you break the agreement, you will have to pay damages to the landlord.
  9. Make sure your landlord lodges your rental deposit with the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority. This is for your security.
  10. Check with your bank if you’re eligible for the ‘First Home Owner Grant’ from the government when you’re ready to buy a home.
  11. If you’re unable to support your kids with your job, contact the Family Assistance Office (13 6150) for Child Care Benefit and Maternity Immunization Allowance.
  12. If your income is low, find out from Centrelink if you’re eligible for concessions to key services.

Working In Australia

  1. Apply for your Tax File Number (TFN) before you start working in Australia, from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) website.
  2. You need to work for two years on a permanent visa to claim government benefits other than Medicare support and family tax benefits.
  3. If you are an international employee on a temporary working visa in Australia, you can claim a fringe benefits tax from the ATO through your employer.
  4. To become eligible for the government’s Age Pension, you must work in Australia on a permanent residentship for 10 years.
  5. If your home country has a social security agreement with Australia, you can avail of government benefits and state pension from them for the time you work in Australia.
  6. Employers are required to deposit 9% of your income into your superannuation fund. If you plan to work temporarily, you can claim the fund after you leave Australia.
  7. Get your skilled trade qualifications recognized by Trades Recognition Australia (1300 360 992) to make job hunting easier
  8. To check if your existing qualifications are valid in Australia, contact the National Australian Skills Recognition Information
  9. Contact the National Child Care Information Services (1800 670 305) if you need help with child care and babysitting assistance.

Teena writes for extreme gift idea company Adrenaline. If you’re an adrenaline junkie who is looking for some thrilling gifts for men and women then do visit their website. They offer more than 2000 adventure experiences all across the World.


0 Review


Add comment



Shop with Guide tour

Your Header Sidebar area is currently empty. Hurry up and add some widgets.