Kalvari Mount Idukki- Best view point in Idukki
Kalvari Mount is the most scenic place in the Idukki district which is located at a distance of 10 km from Idukki and Munnar it is 55 km away. Also known as Calvary Mount this tourist spot is an attractive tourist destination for the panoramic view it provides. Kalvari Mount is the highest viewpoint in the region that offers a wonderful view of the Idukki reservoir starting from Idukki and continuing to Ayyappancovil on one side. And the other side offers a charming view of the Mariyapuram and Kamakshy villages which is the most outstanding villages of the tribal. The viewpoint of Kalvari Mount Idukki stands on the highway of Thodupuzha- Puliyanmala near the Thankamani junction. The view from the top of the mountain is refreshing and exhilarating.
About Kalvari Mount Idukki
This place is suited for a refreshing picnic as well as a Christian pilgrimage called Kurisumala. The view of the dam looks like the Periyar River until and unless we become aware of its origination. The reservoir is actually created after the projection of the hydroelectric project in Idukki in 1975. This Idukki reservoir holds the water of the Periyar River and was formed after the construction of three dams, Idukki, Kulamavu, and Cheruthoni.
Best time to visit
The ideal time to visit the place is before the onset of summer, in the month of January or February when the beauty could be enjoyed at its highest level. The time after the monsoon is also favorable to visit the mount in the month of September, October, November, and December. The scenic beauty of the view comes alive when the related dams are opened for visitors. The Idukki Dam or the Arch dam reveals unique engineering, unlike any other dams in the region. After visiting the dams, visitors can get relief here at the topmost point which will serve a spectacular view followed by a cool breeze.
Things to do on Kalvari Mount Idukki
As the place was not so popular among tourists, it is a less crowded place. The place is gradually emerging as an attractive tourist destination. The forest department of the Kerala government has been developing a place for attracting visitors. Cottages have been set up that can be taken on rent to stay on day or night. This is an ideal place for trekkers. Nature lovers could spend quality time amidst the romantic environment created by nature. Photography is another activity to get panoramic views of nature locked in the camera. Biking is also available to explore the surroundings on your own.
Bikes and small cars can reach the top of the Kalvari Mount Idukki viewpoint. However larger vehicles are not allowed to reach the top and had to be parked one and a half kilometers downhill. Large groups need to trek, to cover a little distance uphill to reach the top. Presently there are no shops available so make sure to carry food if you want some. Do not make the place dirty with litter. And remember to carry an umbrella as rainfall is frequent in the hills.
How to reach Kalvari Mount
This is the most important information as to how to find the route to reach there. It is useless to know about the place unless you do not know the way to get there. The mount is located in the route of Idukki Kattappana. Taxis or cabs are available from Ernakulam or Kottayam. Buses also pass through this route frequently. The nearby railway stations are Kottayam and Ernakulum, the latter being the larger. The Cochin Airport is the nearest International Airport.
Best hotels to stay
The place is located above the hills and there are many resorts and hotels nearby where you can relax and get ready for the next day. Hotels like Best Mist, Granby Gold, and Orchard homestay are some of the best ones in the region that offer accommodation along with free Wi-Fi. The hotels have an arrangement for foreigners too. Meghmala Resorts is the most nearby resort located at a distance of 0.9 km from Kalvari Mount but is a bit costly. Rexon Residency is reasonable and stands at a distance of 12 km from the spot.
Kalvari Mount in Idukki is a popular destination for outdoor activities, including:
- Trekking and Hiking: Kalvari Mount is a popular trekking destination due to its scenic beauty and natural trails.
- Wildlife watching: The surrounding forests of Kalvari Mount are home to a variety of wildlife species, including elephants, deer, and various species of birds.
- Camping: The scenic views and peaceful surroundings of Kalvari Mount make it a popular destination for camping.
- Rock Climbing: The rocky terrain of Kalvari Mount provides opportunities for rock climbing and rappelling.
- Photography: The stunning views from the top of Kalvari Mount and the surrounding landscapes make it a popular destination for photography enthusiasts.
- Nature walks: Kalvari Mount is surrounded by dense forests and rolling hills, making it a popular destination for nature walks and picnics.
It is important to note that some activities may be restricted or require prior permission from the local authorities. Visitors are advised to follow all guidelines and rules for safe and responsible outdoor recreation.
Here are some frequently asked questions about Kalvari Mount, Idukki:
- What is Kalvari Mount?
- Kalvari Mount is a small hill located in Idukki district, Kerala, India.
- What is the significance?
- Kalvari Mount is known for its natural beauty and scenic views, making it a popular destination for trekking and hiking enthusiasts.
- What is the height of Kalvari Mount?
- The height of Kalvari Mount is approximately 1,500 meters above sea level.
- Is Kalvari Mount accessible for tourists?
- Yes, Kalvari Mount is accessible for tourists and is a popular destination for trekking and hiking.
- Is Kalvari Mount open all year round?
- Yes, Kalvari Mount is open all year round, although the best time to visit is during the months of October to May when the weather is more pleasant.
- Are there any accommodations available near Kalvari Mount?
- Yes, there are several accommodations available near Kalvari Mount, including lodges, homestays, and resorts.
- What is the nearest airport to Kalvari Mount?
- The nearest airport to Kalvari Mount is the Cochin International Airport, which is approximately 100 km away.
- What is the nearest railway station to Kalvari Mount?
- The nearest railway station to Kalvari Mount is Kottayam railway station, which is approximately 50 km away.