Keoladeo Ghana National Park
Where is the Keoladeo Ghana National Park?
The Keoladeo Ghana National Park is located at a distance of just 2 km from Bharatpur on the border between the states of Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh. It was given the status of a bird sanctuary in 1956. In the year 1982, it was upgraded to a national park and today ranks among the best water-bird reserves in the world. It’s a World Heritage Site as well, attracting hordes of visitors, travellers, nature writers, and bird-watchers from far and wide.
What is it famous for?
The Keoladeo Ghana National Park is one of the best water-bird preserves in the world. It has also been declared as a World Heritage Site. Bharatpur is the Siberian crane’s only known wintering ground in India.
How to reach
Keoladeo Ghana National Park is located in the state of Rajasthan, India. Here’s how to reach the park:
By Air: The nearest airport to Keoladeo Ghana National Park is the Indira Gandhi International Airport in New Delhi, which is about 120 miles away. From there, you can hire a taxi or take a train to reach the park.
By Train: The nearest railway station to the park is Bharatpur Junction, which is well-connected to major cities in India. From the railway station, you can hire a taxi or take a rickshaw to reach the park.
By Road: Keoladeo Ghana National Park is well-connected to major cities in Rajasthan and neighboring states by road. You can take a bus or hire a taxi to reach the park. The park is located on NH11, which connects Agra and Jaipur.
Once you reach the park, you can hire a bicycle or a rickshaw to explore the park. Bicycles and rickshaws are the most common modes of transportation within the park. You can also hire a guide who will show you the different bird species and wildlife in the park.
What are the entry charges?
Visitors need to obtain a permit from the Warden or the Ranger at the entrance to the park. The entry charge for Indians is Rs 25, while for the foreign national it is Rs 200 each. Extra charges are to be paid for taking the cameras and other photographic equipment along.
What is the best time?
The Keoladeo Ghana National Park is open throughout the year for visiting. However, the ideal time is during the winters, between the months of October and February. During this period, the weather is good and it is also the time for the arrival of migratory birds.
What constitutes the flora, fauna, and avifauna?
The word ‘Ghana’, in Keoladeo Ghana, means thick forest. The park has a high density of vegetation, containing a wide variety of flora representing 64 families, 181 genera, and 227 subspecies. Kadam (Mitragynaparvifolia), Babul (Acacia nilotica), and Jamun (Syzygiumcuminii) dominate the forests at Bharatpur. The scrublands are dominated by the species of Capparis decidua. Aquatic vegetation comprises lilies, lotus, duckweeds, and water fern.
The Keoladeo Ghana National Park is home to a very rich bird life including the pink-tinted stork, numerous species of cormorants, egrets, pelicans, spoonbills, flamingos, vultures, kingfishers, ibises, cranes, ducks, and geese. There are 350 bird species to be watched, both native and migratory. Among the migratory birds is the highly dangered species of the Siberian Crane which comes to nest here in winter.
Apart from the various species of native and migratory birds, the park is also home to a fabulous number of mammal and reptile species. The animal inmates of the park include deer, jackals, blackbuck, fishing cats, otters, blue bulls, etc.
What are the nearby attractions?
1. Bharatpur Palace
Close to the museum is yet another attraction for visitors. The palace is a wonderful fusion of Mughal and Rajput architecture. It is a must-see site for one and all.
2. Government Museum
The Government Museum nearby is worth a visit. The museum provides glimpses of the glories of the past.
3. Lohargarh fort
The Lohargarh Fort which withstood a number of attacks by the British, exists even today to tell its story to the world.
4. Taj Mahal:
The Taj Mahal is located in Agra, about 50 miles from Keoladeo Ghana National Park. It is one of the most famous and beautiful monuments in the world, and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is a must-visit destination when you’re in the area.
5. Fatehpur Sikri:
Fatehpur Sikri is a historic city located about 20 miles from Keoladeo Ghana National Park. It was built by Emperor Akbar in the 16th century and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It has several historic monuments, including the Buland Darwaza and the Jama Masjid.
6. Mathura and Vrindavan:
Mathura and Vrindavan are two ancient cities located about 25 miles from Keoladeo Ghana National Park. They are known for their religious significance, as they are associated with Lord Krishna. They have several historic temples and are popular pilgrimage sites.
7. Deeg Palace:
Deeg Palace is a historic palace located about 20 miles from Keoladeo Ghana National Park. It was built in the 18th century and is known for its beautiful gardens and water fountains.
Overall, there are plenty of nearby attractions to visit when you’re in Keoladeo Ghana National Park. They offer a glimpse into the history and culture of the region and are worth exploring.
Things to do
also known as Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary, is a beautiful nature reserve located in the state of Rajasthan, India. It is known for its rich biodiversity and is a paradise for bird watchers. Here are some things to do in Keoladeo Ghana National Park:
- Bird Watching: Keoladeo Ghana National Park is home to over 370 species of birds, including both resident and migratory birds. The best time to visit the park for bird watching is from October to February when the migratory birds arrive. Some of the most popular birds to spot include painted storks, white ibis, spoonbills, sarus cranes, and the rare Siberian crane.
- Cycling: Cycling is a popular activity in Keoladeo Ghana National Park. You can rent a bicycle and explore the park at your own pace. The park has several cycling trails that take you through the different habitats, including wetlands, woodlands, and grasslands.
- Nature Walks: Nature walks are a great way to explore the park and its different habitats. The park offers guided walks, and you can also hire a local guide who will show you the different bird species and wildlife in the park.
- Boating: Boating is a popular activity in Keoladeo Ghana National Park. You can hire a boat and explore the wetlands of the park. It’s a great way to see the different bird species that live in and around the water.
- Photography: Keoladeo Ghana National Park is a photographer’s paradise. With its diverse bird species, wildlife, and beautiful landscapes, the park offers plenty of opportunities for photography.
- Visit the Keoladeo Temple: The Keoladeo Temple is a Hindu temple located inside the park. It is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is a popular pilgrimage site. The temple is surrounded by a beautiful lake and offers stunning views of the park.
- Visit the Government Museum: The Government Museum is located near the park and is dedicated to the history and culture of the Bharatpur region. It has a collection of sculptures, coins, manuscripts, and other artifacts.
- Visit the Lohagarh Fort: The Lohagarh Fort is a historic fort located near the park. It was built in the 18th century and is known for its strength and resilience. The fort offers a glimpse into the history and culture of the region.
Overall, The National Park is a must-visit destination for nature lovers and bird watchers. It offers a unique and unforgettable experience in the heart of Rajasthan.