Nameri national park is located in Assam. The national park is located in the foothills of the Himalayas. Owing to this very reason, it is one of the best places to explore the flora and fauna of the country. Owing to the rich diversity in the foothill of the Himalayas, you would be able to explore many different plants and animals. Even some of the endangered species call the National Park as their home. That is why, if you really want to explore the natural habitat of the animals, this is one of the best National Park to visit. Also, since it is located in the foothill of the Himalayas, you can be sure that the landscape all around would be pretty beautiful as well. The natives in the region are also pretty welcoming and you can easily explore the native culture as well.
Major attractions of Nameri National Park
The major attractions of Nameri National Park include its diverse wildlife, beautiful landscapes, and opportunities for outdoor activities.
- Wildlife: The park is home to a variety of animals, including tigers, elephants, leopards, bison, and different species of deer. Visitors can also spot various species of birds, including the Great Hornbill, the Wreathed Hornbill, and the Rufous-necked Hornbill.
- Scenic beauty: The park offers beautiful landscapes, with dense tropical forests, grasslands, and the Jia Bhoroli River running through it. Visitors can enjoy the natural beauty of the park while rafting, kayaking, and fishing on the river.
- Trekking: The park offers several trekking trails, which are popular among visitors who want to explore the park’s beautiful landscapes and diverse wildlife.
- Bird Watching: The park is a bird-watcher’s paradise, with over 450 species of birds have been recorded in the park. It is also one of the most important bird watching areas in India.
- Cultural Experience: The park also has a rich cultural heritage, with several ethnic communities living in and around the park. Visitors can interact with the local people and learn about their customs, traditions, and lifestyles.
- Camping: The park also provides camping facilities for visitors, which allows them to experience the park’s wilderness up close.
Safari Details and Timing on Nameri National Park
A safari is a journey or excursion, typically in Africa, for the purpose of observing or hunting wild animals. The word “safari” is derived from the Swahili word “safari” which means “to journey” or “to travel.”
There are different types of safaris available, such as:
- Game drives: A game drive typically takes place in a vehicle and allows visitors to explore a protected area and observe wildlife from a safe distance.
- Walking safaris: Walking safaris take place on foot and provide a more immersive experience, allowing visitors to get up close to wildlife and learn about the environment from a guide.
- Balloon safaris: Balloon safaris offer a unique perspective as visitors float above the landscape in a hot air balloon, observing wildlife and the surrounding area.
- Boat safaris: Boat safaris take place on a river or lake and provide the opportunity to observe aquatic wildlife and explore the surrounding area.
- Horseback safaris: Horseback safaris provide a different way to explore the wilderness while on horseback.
Each safari type has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the choice of safari will depend on the individual’s preference, budget, and the park/region they are visiting.
How to reach Nameri National Park
Nameri National Park is located in the state of Assam, India. There are several ways to reach the park depending on your location and mode of transportation.
By air: The nearest airport to Nameri National Park is Tezpur Airport, which is located about 60 km away. From the airport, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach the park.
By train: The nearest railway station to Nameri National Park is Tezpur Railway Station, which is located about 60 km away. From the station, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach the park.
By bus: There are several bus services that operate between Guwahati and Tezpur, which is the nearest town to Nameri National Park. From Tezpur, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach the park.
By car: If you’re driving from Guwahati, take National Highway 15 and then take the state highway that connects Tezpur to Nameri. The park is well connected by road, and you can reach the park in around 4-5 hours from Guwahati.
It’s important to note that the last stretch of the road leading to the park is a bit rough and bumpy, so it’s best to hire a 4×4 vehicle for the journey. Also, check the permit and other formalities before visiting the park.
Best Time to visit Nameri National Park
The best time to visit Nameri National Park is between November and April, which is the dry season in the region. The weather during this time is pleasant, making it ideal for wildlife safaris and other activities. The monsoon season between May and October can make the trails muddy and slippery, making it difficult to navigate the park. Also, many animals retreat to the thicker parts of the forest during this time, making it harder to spot them.
During the dry season, the park’s flora and fauna are in their best condition and the water levels in the park’s rivers and streams are low, making it easy to spot animals that come to drink water. This is also the best time for birdwatching as many migratory birds visit the park during this time.
It’s important to note that the park’s opening and closing hours may vary depending on the season and the weather conditions. So, it’s best to check with the park authorities before planning your trip.
Near by Attractions
Nameri National Park is located in the state of Assam, India, and offers a variety of activities for visitors to enjoy. Some nearby attractions that can be visited along with Nameri National Park are:
- Balipara Reserve Forest: This reserve forest is located near the park and is known for its rich biodiversity and scenic beauty. Visitors can take a jungle walk or a jeep safari to explore the forest and spot wildlife.
- Jia Bhorali River: This river is located near the park and offers activities like river rafting and angling. Visitors can also take a boat ride to explore the river and spot aquatic life.
- The Madhav Temple: This is an ancient temple located in the town of Tezpur, which is the nearest town to Nameri National Park. The temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu and is known for its architectural beauty.
- The Agnigarh Hill: The hill is located near the park and offers a panoramic view of the surrounding area. Visitors can trek up the hill to enjoy the view and also visit the historic site of the same name.
- The Tezpur: Tezpur is a historic town located near the park and is known for its cultural and historical significance. Visitors can explore the town’s temples, museums and other cultural sites.
All these places are worth visiting and can be combined with Nameri National Park depending on the time and interest of the visitors.