Neyyar Dam in Western Ghats, Trivandrum
The southern India is full of tourist destination due to its wonderful view beautified with all branches of nature like lakes, hills, forests, waterfalls and ocean. Kerala, one of the south Indian State is popularly known as ‘God’s Own country’ due to its magnificent beauty. Situated there in the Trivandrum district at Kallikkad Panchayat, there is a famous tour spot known as Neyyar Dam which is also a gravity dam. It is a well-known picnic spot with a scenic lake established in the year 1958. The river on which the Dam is built flows through various villages and towns and falls at Arabian Sea. The height of the dam is 56 meter and it is stretched at a length of 295 m. The main attraction of the dam is the adventures lion safari park and the boating journey towards the dam. After crossing the Neyyar Lake you can enter the Neyyar Sanctuary to see lions roaming freely which is worth the visit.
The Neyyar Dam is located in the Thiruvananthapuram district of Kerala, India, and was built on the Neyyar River. Construction of the dam began in 1955 and it was completed in 1958. The dam was built primarily for irrigation purposes, to provide water for agriculture in the surrounding areas, and to control the floods in the Neyyar River.
In addition to irrigation, the dam also serves as a source of drinking water for the nearby cities and towns and as a source of hydroelectric power. The dam has a capacity of over 9 million cubic meters of water and has a height of 56 meters.
The area around the dam is also known for its scenic beauty and biodiversity. The Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary was established in 1958, around the same time as the completion of the dam, to protect the local wildlife and forests. The sanctuary is now home to a variety of flora and fauna, including elephants, lions, tigers, and many species of birds.
In recent years, Neyyar Dam has become a popular tourist destination, attracting nature lovers, adventure enthusiasts, and those seeking a peaceful escape from city life. The area around the dam offers opportunities for wildlife watching, trekking, boating, and picnicking, making it a must-visit destination for those looking to experience the beauty of the Western Ghats.
Legend behind Neyyar Dam
The Dam is basically a small part of the huge Neyyar Wildlife Forest. It is home to many wild animals such as Nilgiri Tahr, sloth bear, elephants, and deer. Typical herbal plants are also seen around the region that is used for making medicines. The vast land of the dam was previously particular of an agriculturist of Maruthummoottil family and was given to the government for the purpose of irrigation. The place is a historic and cultural heritage of the city.
Activities to do on Neyyar Dam
- Kerala being the origin of coconut trees you can try drinking local coconut water and its inner milky white lining which is very tasty.
- Watch the rubber plantations of white latex harvested by the local people on the way to Trivandrum.
- There are also speed boats that you can hire at the rate of 250 INR per person and experience the beautiful surrounding featured with picturesque greeneries.
- Go for the lion safari and elephant ride to the Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Visit the nearby places such as Lake Garden, Watch Tower, Deer Park and swimming pool.
- The dam houses a Yoga and meditation centre named as Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Dhanwantari Ashram. It is very beautiful and you can spend your time in a peaceful manner.
- The Crocodile Research Centre is another spot to visit in the Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary.
- There are many temples near the Neyyar Dam such as Mangara Muttom Shiva Temple and Veeranakavu Shastha Temple.
The nearest railway station is Thiruvanathapuram at a distance of 32 km from the dam and the nearest airport, Thiruvanathapuram International Airport is located at a distance of 38 km from the exact location of the dam. Regular bus services are available from the city, so it is very easy to reach there. Also you can hire cabs from anywhere in the city to your destination. Alternatively you can go there from Kovalam which is around 35 kilometers away from the spot.
Staying Neyyar Dam
Inside the dam premise there is a suitable place to stay which is the property of KTDC. The name of the guest house is Agasthya House and is a wonderful home stay with 7 deluxe rooms and 1 dormitory. All the sightseeing spots are located very close to the hotel. You need to do check the price per night prior booking as there are less rooms and more demand during pick season which starts from September till March. Other than this there are many hotels nearby to experience a comfortable stay.
The Neyyar Dam is an awesome place for people of all ages. The best season to visit there is winter season as the weather remains just perfect for taking beautiful snaps of the scenic view all around. The gushing water of the dam can be seen from very near. There are vast pristine region where you could find wild species of animals and plants. So when you are in the city of Thiruvanathapuram, you can add this place in your tour itinerary and relax yourself into the healing natural surroundings of Neyyar Dam. The dam is just an ideal place for a get-together or a picnic with family and friends.
Things to do, details
There are several activities and attractions to enjoy at Neyyar Dam and its surroundings:
- Wildlife Sanctuary: The Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary is a must-visit for nature lovers and wildlife enthusiasts. You can go on a jeep safari or a trek to spot various species of animals and birds, including elephants, tigers, lions, and many species of birds.
- Trekking: The Western Ghats are known for their scenic beauty and there are several trekking trails in the area around the dam. You can go on a trek to enjoy the breathtaking views of the hills and forests.
- Boating: There is a boating facility available at the Neyyar Dam, where you can enjoy a leisurely boat ride on the tranquil waters.
- Picnicking: The area around the dam is ideal for picnics, with several scenic spots and well-maintained gardens. You can pack a picnic basket and spend a day amidst nature.
- Visit the Lion Park: The Lion Park near the dam is a popular tourist attraction where you can observe lions and other animals in their natural habitats.
- Ayurvedic treatments: The area around the dam is also famous for its Ayurvedic treatments and you can visit one of the many Ayurvedic centers to experience the benefits of this ancient form of medicine.
- Lion & Deer Rehabilitation Centre: The Lion & Deer Rehabilitation Centre near the dam is a unique attraction where you can learn about the rehabilitation of injured and rescued lions and deer.
These are some of the activities and attractions you can enjoy at Neyyar Dam and its surroundings. Whether you are a nature lover, an adventure enthusiast, or just looking for a peaceful retreat, there is something for everyone at Neyyar Dam.
Here are some frequently asked questions about Neyyar Dam:
- How do I get to Neyyar Dam? The dam is located in the Thiruvananthapuram district of Kerala and is easily accessible by road from the city of Thiruvananthapuram. You can also reach the dam by taking a train to the nearby railway station at Neyyatinkara and then taking a taxi or local transportation to the dam.
- What is the best time to visit Neyyar Dam? The best time to visit Neyyar Dam is from September to May, during the cooler months when the weather is pleasant and the skies are clear.
- Is there a entry fee to visit Neyyar Dam? Yes, there is an entry fee to visit the dam and its surroundings, including the wildlife sanctuary and the lion park. The fee is nominal and is used to maintain the facilities and preserve the natural beauty of the area.
- Is there a place to stay near Neyyar Dam? Yes, there are several options for accommodation near Neyyar Dam, including hotels, resorts, and homestays. You can choose from a range of options to suit your budget and preferences.
- What are the popular activities to do at Neyyar Dam? Some of the popular activities at Neyyar Dam include wildlife spotting at the wildlife sanctuary, trekking in the Western Ghats, boating on the dam, and picnicking in the scenic surroundings.
- Can I go on a trek at Neyyar Dam? Yes, you can go on a trek in the Western Ghats around Neyyar Dam. There are several trekking trails in the area that offer breathtaking views of the hills and forests.
- Is there a boating facility at Neyyar Dam? Yes, there is a boating facility available at Neyyar Dam, where you can enjoy a leisurely boat ride on the tranquil waters.