Palolem Beach, Goa
Palolem beach 3 km from Canacona Junction station (on the Konkan Line), 70 km south of Panaji.
Palolem beach, Goa was discovered by those lost souls searching for an idyllic beach of Goa, unspoiled from the vagaries of the typical whoop-de-do activities of Goa tourism found in the more popular beaches of Goa. What they found was beach utopia; sensual curves of crescent-shaped palm-fringed golden sands, gently caressed by the waves between two unusual rocky headlands. Laid-back, in front of a blue bay, Palolem is one of the most beautiful beaches of Goa. Chased by the lovers of the tranquil Goa holiday experience, it’s obviously no longer lonely. But it still is a place for quiet contemplation, long walks paddling in the shallows, and for soaking in the sun with a good book.
But, the otherwise tranquil beach can get somewhat crowded on weekends when it attracts local picnickers. The southern end is more relaxed than the north.
The small Canacona Island on the north can be reached by a swim or via a boat ride with a fisherman, or by simply walking across at low tide. An added attraction at this end is a freshwater stream.
The local fishermen offer dolphin watching and fishing boat trips. The closebyAgonda beach is one of the best spots for sea angling in Goa or India. Soorma, salmon, and mullet are amongst the catches.
Shacks line the northern end of the shore and serve reasonably good food and drinks. The shacks at the southern end offer better ambiance.
Colomb & Rajbag beaches
A walk south along the shore over rocky outcrops brings you to the sandy coves of Colomb beach, with huts of the fishing community nearby (some take in paying guests). Parking is also available for campers and travelers.
Further south across a stream you reach the unspoiled Rajbag beach that offers excellent swimming in front of dunes and casuarina trees. An up-market Goa resort, Bharat-Hilton Resort is coming up here.
North of Palolem, near Cabo de Rama Fort, is one of the most desolate beaches of Goa; you might not even find it on a Goa map. This picture-perfect beach of Goa is stretched over a 3 km cove of white sand fringed by palms and casuarina trees, overlooked by a large hill to the south
Mobike is the best way to get here, and as there’re no facilities, carry your own essentials. Consider camping overnight to make for a memorable Goa holiday experience.
Palolem Beach, Goa. Accommodation
As with its northern counterpart, Arambol, typical beach Goa accommodation here often means seaside huts beneath palms, a rather enjoyable experience. The rest offer a cheap Goa holiday, both financially and figuratively. You can get to rent rooms in villagers’ houses by asking politely at the beach restaurants.
Things to do
Palolem Beach in Goa is a beautiful destination that offers a wide range of activities for visitors. Here are some of the things you can do at Palolem Beach:
- Beach activities: The beach is perfect for sunbathing, swimming, and relaxing. You can also indulge in water sports such as surfing, kayaking, and paddleboarding.
- Boat trips: You can take a boat trip to see dolphins and enjoy the beautiful scenery around the beach.
- Yoga: Palolem is known for its yoga retreats, and you can join a yoga class or a meditation session to relax your mind and body.
- Trekking: The area surrounding Palolem beach is full of hills and mountains, and you can go on a trek to explore the beautiful nature and scenic views.
- Nightlife: The beach comes alive at night, and there are several beach bars and shacks where you can enjoy live music, drinks, and food.
- Visit the nearby attractions: Palolem is close to several popular attractions such as the Cabo de Rama fort, the Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary, and the Dudhsagar Falls. You can plan a day trip to these places to explore more of Goa.
- Shopping: There are several markets and shops near the beach where you can buy souvenirs, handicrafts, and other local products.
- Relax and rejuvenate: Palolem is a great place to relax and rejuvenate, and you can spend some time at one of the spas or wellness centers near the beach.
Overall, Palolem Beach is a wonderful destination that offers something for everyone. Whether you want to relax and soak up the sun or explore the beautiful nature around the beach, Palolem has plenty to offer.
How to reach
Palolem Beach is located in the southern part of Goa, India. Here are some ways to reach Palolem Beach:
- By Air: The nearest airport to Palolem is the Dabolim Airport in Goa, which is about 67 km away. From the airport, you can take a taxi or a bus to reach Palolem.
- By Train: The nearest railway station to Palolem is the Canacona Railway Station, which is about 2 km away. Several trains connect Canacona to major cities in India. From the railway station, you can take a taxi or a rickshaw to reach Palolem.
- By Road: Palolem is well connected by road to other parts of Goa and nearby cities. You can take a bus, taxi or hire a self-drive car to reach Palolem.
- By Ferry: Another option is to take a ferry from nearby destinations such as Panaji, which is the capital of Goa, or other beaches in South Goa. The ferry ride is a scenic way to reach Palolem and is often used by tourists.
Overall, Palolem Beach is easily accessible by air, train, road, and ferry, making it a convenient destination for travelers visiting Goa.
Where to Stay
Palolem Beach in Goa offers a variety of accommodation options to suit different budgets and preferences. Here are some of the popular options:
- Beach huts: There are many beach huts and shacks available right on the beach. They offer basic amenities and are a great option for those who want to stay close to the sea.
- Guesthouses and Homestays: There are several guesthouses and homestays located around Palolem Beach, offering clean and comfortable rooms at affordable rates.
- Resorts: There are several resorts located near Palolem beach that offer luxurious amenities such as swimming pools, spa services, and fine dining options.
- Boutique Hotels: Palolem also has several boutique hotels that offer stylish and comfortable rooms and suites with modern amenities.
- Campsites: For those who prefer a more adventurous and budget-friendly option, there are several campsites located in and around Palolem that offer tents and basic amenities.
Some of the popular options for accommodation at Palolem Beach include The Lalit Golf & Spa Resort, The Fern Gardenia Resort, Ciarans, Seaview Resort, and Roundcube Palolem Beach Resort. It is recommended to book your accommodation in advance, especially during the peak season, to ensure availability and to get the best rates.