Peacock Bay- NDA ground in Pune
Owned by the National Defense Academy of Pune, Peacock Bay is located near Khadakwasla Dam and is a part of it. The lake of the dam extends over an area of 501 square kilometers with a depth of up to 120 feet. The bay is situated 12 km away from the city of Pune and stands on the river Mutha. A huge number of peacocks is found in the locality, because of which such a name is given to the place. Other than peacocks the bay also houses some other animals such as lion-tailed macaques, deer, and civets.
The lake is actually a center for watermanship training. Cadets are being trained in this place on all kinds of sailing boats such as surfers, speed boats, dinghies, water skis, whalers, and many others. The lake of Khadakwasla feeds the water requirements of the city. The peacock bay is located on the northeastern part of Khadakwasla Lake which emerged from the confluence of the Mose and Ambi rivers.
Peacock Bay is a popular tourist destination located in Pune, India. The area is known for its scenic beauty and serene atmosphere and is a popular spot for picnicking and boating. However, the history of Peacock Bay is not well documented and there is limited information available about its past.
According to local folklore, the area was once a marshy lake inhabited by a large number of peacocks, which is where the name Peacock Bay originated. The lake was later developed into a tourist destination, and boats were introduced for visitors to explore the scenic surroundings.
In recent years, Peacock Bay has become a popular weekend getaway for residents of Pune and has been developed into a modern tourist destination with facilities for boating, picnicking, and other recreational activities. Despite its popularity, the area remains relatively unspoiled and retains much of its natural beauty.
While the history of Peacock Bay is not well documented, its stunning beauty and tranquil atmosphere have made it a beloved destination for visitors from near and far.
The lake could be visited at any time of the year and at any time of the day. Visitors need not pay any kind of entrance fees. Photography is not allowed. The total time required to visit the place will take not more than two hours. . It is a well-known venue in Pune for water sports. Many kinds of competitions are held here such as swimming competitions, crossing the equator mock ceremony, and national inland championships.
Taxis and cabs are widely available from airports, nearby railway stations, and from various parts of the city. Pune railway station is the nearby railhead to the spot. Besides, buses and auto rickshaws are also available in huge numbers. So reaching the spot is not that hard.
Here are the two best restaurants located near the bay; one is vegan and the other non-vegan:
Lake views- this is the best restaurant in the locality and serves different types of cuisines including Chinese and Indian. Popular dishes of this eatery are chicken afgani, Aloo Mumtaz, and mushroom chicken seena. Home delivery facilities are available here and it also serves alcohol.
Hot chips – this is a restaurant in Ingale colony that is known for local dishes. The eatery is suitable for families and couples, working as well as young professionals. Popular dishes of this restaurant are Kerala Wafer, Traingale, Onion Wafer, Butter Chakli, and many more. It is a pure vegetarian hotel.
Where to stay
Wilderness resorts, Splendor country club and resort, and Aquarius resorts are some of the best hotels in Pune located near Peacock Bay. If you want to spend your weekend in fun, then these destinations is just the perfect one for you to experience your holiday.
Nearby places of interests
Although there are many places in Pune that attract lots of visitors from far and near there are some that must be mentioned here so that when you visit peacock Bay, you may visit these places that will hardly take one day to complete.
- Lohagad– it is a hill station in Lonavala and one of the best places to visit in Pune. This place is suitable for trekking enthusiasts and displays ancient architecture. The natural beauty and the green panoramic view of this place are really appreciated.
- Pawna lake– it is a refreshing destination for spending weekends near Lonavala. The flora and fauna around the Lake is a great view. The lake is an artificial one that has been created to attract nature lovers. It is a wonderful retreat to real amidst nature and you can also enjoy paragliding and camping at this sight.
- Panshet Dam– It is built on the Ambi River and is a top place for adventure lovers. Gushing waterfalls and lavish hills are the ornaments of this dam. Many types of water sports are enjoyed here like boating, banana riding, water scooters, and kayaking. Trekking and camping are also done here.
- Mulshi Lake and dam– hydroelectricity and irrigation are the main activities done here. The picturesque landscape located between the hills presents a tranquil ambiance of Mother Nature. Hiking, boating and enjoying picnics are popular activities done here.
Here are some quick facts about Peacock Bay in Pune, India:
- Location: Peacock Bay is located in Pune, India.
- Popular Tourist Destination: Peacock Bay is a popular tourist destination known for its scenic beauty and serene atmosphere.
- Name Origin: The area is named after the large number of peacocks that used to inhabit the marshy lake in the area.
- Recreational Activities: This is a popular spot for picnicking and boating, and has facilities for other recreational activities as well.
- Natural Beauty: Despite its popularity, Peacock Bay remains relatively unspoiled and retains much of its natural beauty.
- History: The history of Peacock Bay is not well documented, but it is believed to have been developed into a tourist destination in recent years.
- Weekend Getaway: This is a popular weekend getaway for residents of Pune and surrounding areas.
- Modern Development: In recent years, Peacock Bay has been developed into a modern tourist destination with facilities such as restaurants, picnic areas, and boating facilities.
- Tranquil Atmosphere: The tranquil atmosphere and stunning beauty of Peacock Bay make it a beloved destination for visitors from near and far.
- Conservation Efforts: Efforts are being made to conserve the natural beauty of Peacock Bay, and to limit the impact of tourism on the local ecosystem.
- Accessibility: Peacock Bay is easily accessible from Pune and surrounding areas, and is well-connected by road, rail, and air.
- Best Time to Visit: The best time to visit Peacock Bay is from September to March, when the weather is pleasant and the scenery is at its most beautiful.
What to see and do
Peacock Bay in Pune offers a variety of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. Here are some of the things you can see and do at Peacock Bay:
- Boating: One of the most popular activities at Peacock Bay is boating. Visitors can rent a boat and explore the scenic surroundings, including the lush greenery and tranquil waters of the lake.
- Picnicking: Peacock Bay is a popular spot for picnicking, and there are several picnic areas with benches and tables where visitors can relax and enjoy a meal.
- Wildlife Watching: Peacock Bay is home to a variety of wildlife, including birds, reptiles, and other species. Visitors can explore the area on foot or by boat and look for wildlife along the shoreline and in the surrounding forests.
- Photography: Peacock Bay is a picturesque destination that offers excellent opportunities for photography. Whether you’re an amateur or a professional photographer, you’ll find plenty of stunning landscapes and natural beauty to capture.
- Nature Walks: Visitors can take a nature walk along the shoreline or in the surrounding forests, where they can experience the natural beauty of Peacock Bay up close.
- Fishing: Fishing is another popular activity at Peacock Bay, and visitors can rent a boat or fish from the shore.
- Local Food: Visitors can try local food and snacks at the food stalls and restaurants located near Peacock Bay.
- Relaxation: Finally, Peacock Bay is a perfect place to simply relax and enjoy the serene atmosphere. Visitors can take a stroll along the shoreline, sit on a bench, or read a book while enjoying the natural beauty of the area.
Nearby attraction with KM
Peacock Bay is located in Pune, India, and there are several nearby attractions that visitors can explore while in the area. Here are a few of the most popular nearby attractions with their approximate distances from Peacock Bay:
Pune City (45 km):
Pune is a bustling city known for its rich history, cultural heritage, and modern developments. Visitors can explore the city’s many temples, museums, parks, and shopping areas.
Sinhagad Fort (25 km):
Sinhagad Fort is a historic fort located on a hilltop near Pune. Visitors can hike to the fort and enjoy panoramic views of the surrounding landscape.
Shaniwar Wada (45 km):
Shaniwar Wada is a historic palace and former seat of the Maratha Empire, located in Pune. Visitors can learn about the history of the Maratha Empire and see the remains of the palace.
Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park (35 km):
The Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park is a popular tourist attraction located in Pune. Visitors can see a variety of wildlife species and enjoy a fun day out with family and friends.
Aga Khan Palace (40 km):
The Aga Khan Palace is a historic palace located in Pune that was once used as a prison by the British during India’s freedom struggle. Visitors can learn about the history of India’s freedom struggle and see the beautiful architecture of the palace.
These are just a few of the many nearby attractions that visitors can explore while in Pune. The distances mentioned above are approximate and may vary depending on the specific location of Peacock Bay.