Plitvice Lakes National Park is a UNESCO World Heritage site located in Croatia. It is known for its stunning array of interconnected waterfalls and turquoise blue lakes set in a dense forest of beech and fir trees. Visitors can explore the park through a network of wooden walkways and bridges that offer scenic views of the waterfall formations.
Visitors to Plitvice Lakes National Park can enjoy a range of activities, including:
- Hiking: Explore the park on foot along scenic trails and bridges that offer breathtaking views of the lakes and waterfalls.
- Sightseeing: Admire the stunning natural beauty of the waterfalls and turquoise blue lakes.
- Photography: Take advantage of the park’s stunning landscapes to capture stunning photos.
- Boating: Take a boat tour on the park’s largest lake to see the waterfalls from a different perspective.
- Wildlife watching: Look out for native wildlife, including deer, bears, wolves, and rare bird species.
- Picnicking: Take a break and enjoy a picnic in the park’s beautiful natural surroundings.
- Guided tours: Join a guided tour for a deeper understanding of the park’s history, geology, and ecology.
Things to do
Here are some details on some of the activities you can do at Plitvice Lakes National Park:
- Hiking: The park has several hiking trails that range from easy to strenuous. You can choose from several routes depending on your level of fitness and the amount of time you have. The trails offer stunning views of the park’s lakes and waterfalls and take you through dense forests and along the banks of the lakes.
- Sightseeing: There are several lookout points throughout the park that offer breathtaking views of the waterfalls and lakes. Visitors can walk along the wooden walkways and bridges that criss-cross the park and take in the stunning landscapes.
- Photography: With its stunning landscapes, Plitvice Lakes National Park is a photographer’s paradise. From the waterfalls to the turquoise blue lakes, there are countless opportunities to capture beautiful images.
- Boating: Visitors can take a boat tour on the park’s largest lake to see the waterfalls from a different perspective. The boat tours provide a unique vantage point and allow visitors to see the beauty of the park from a new angle.
- Wildlife watching: Plitvice Lakes National Park is home to a diverse range of wildlife, including deer, bears, wolves, and rare bird species. Visitors can keep an eye out for wildlife while hiking through the park or during a boat tour.
- Picnicking: There are several picnic areas throughout the park where visitors can take a break and enjoy a meal in the beautiful natural surroundings.
- Guided tours: Guided tours are a great way to learn about the history, geology, and ecology of Plitvice Lakes National Park. You will learn about the park’s creation, how the waterfalls were formed, and the unique ecosystems found within the park.
How to reach
Plitvice Lakes National Park is located in central Croatia, near the town of Slunj. Here are some ways to reach the park:
- By Car: If you’re driving, Plitvice Lakes National Park is easily accessible from the nearby cities of Zagreb, Split, and Zadar. Simply take the A1 motorway and follow the signs to the park.
- By Bus: There are regular bus services from Zagreb and Split to the town of Slunj, which is located near the park. From Slunj, visitors can take a shuttle bus to the park entrance.
- By Train: The nearest train station is in Karlstadt, which is about 60 km from the park. From Karlstadt, visitors can take a bus or taxi to the park.
- By Plane: The nearest airport is Zagreb Franjo Tudman Airport, which is about 2 hours by car from the park. Visitors can rent a car or take a shuttle bus from the airport to reach the park.
Regardless of how you get to Plitvice Lakes National Park, be prepared for a scenic journey through some of Croatia’s most beautiful landscapes.
Tickets and prices
The entrance fee for Plitvice Lakes National Park varies depending on the time of year and the type of ticket you purchase. Here is an overview of the ticket prices for 2022:
- High Season (July and August): Adults – 330 HRK (Croatian Kuna), Children (7-18 years) – 110 HRK
- Low Season (April, May, June, September, and October): Adults – 250 HRK, Children (7-18 years) – 80 HRK
- Off-Season (November to March): Adults – 180 HRK, Children (7-18 years) – 60 HRK
- Group tickets (minimum of 20 people): Adults – 220 HRK, Children (7-18 years) – 70 HRK
Please note that these prices are subject to change and it’s best to check the official Plitvice Lakes National Park website for the most up-to-date information.
In addition to the entrance fee, visitors may also have to pay for parking, shuttle bus service, and boat tours, if desired. It’s best to check the park’s official website for information on these additional costs.
Keep in mind before you visit
Here are some things to keep in mind before visiting Plitvice Lakes National Park:
- Plan ahead: Make sure you have a plan for what you want to see and do at the park and allow enough time to see everything. Consider the time of year and the weather, as well as the park’s operating hours.
- Wear comfortable shoes: The park has many hiking trails, so be sure to wear comfortable shoes that are suitable for walking.
- Pack appropriately: Bring appropriate clothing and gear for the weather, including rain gear if necessary, and sun protection in warmer months.
- Respect nature: Plitvice Lakes National Park is a protected area, so be sure to follow the park’s rules and regulations, and do not disturb the wildlife or damage the park’s vegetation.
- Be prepared for crowds: Plitvice Lakes National Park is a popular destination, so be prepared for crowds, especially during the peak tourist season.
- Plan for transportation: Consider how you will get to the park and whether you need to rent a car, take a shuttle bus, or use public transportation.
- Check the official website: Before visiting, be sure to check the official Plitvice Lakes National Park website for the most up-to-date information on admission fees, operating hours, and any other important details.