It is a French colonial settlement in India until 1954, which is now a Union territory which is bounded by the southeastern Tamil Nadu state, seaside promenade runs along the bay of Bengal and passed several statues, which also includes a 4m high memorial. Here is a list of a few places in Pondicherry which has made Pondicherry Tourism very popular and one of the favorite destinations for people.
Best Sightseeing Places under Pondicherry Tourism
It is a coastal fishing village under Ariankupp Panchayat on the southeastern coast of India. It has the longest history that dates back to the 2nd century B.C. Arikamdu is located at a distance of seven kilometers from Pondicherry. The most beautiful things like glassware, gems, and Roman lamps are found during the excavation of Arikamdusite. Apart from its historical importance this place is also famous for mango and coconut trees and served as a retreat for nature lovers.
It is located near Promenade Beach, which is surrounded by the Roman Rolland library, government hospital, and Picturesque government buildings which have big space for a leisurely stroll. The monument of Aayi Mandap was constructed under the French emperor in memory of a lady courtesan, who build a pond to supply water for the public of Pondicherry.
It is a shop in Mission Street which is a treasure trove for products ranging from potpourri to handmade painting skills, candles, jewelry, scarves, and many more It is an international township near Pondicherry, which was founded by mother promoting luxury living, there you will find natural products and heaps of organic across the town.
It is located right at the heart of the city. The beach is cleaner than other beaches there in Pondicherry. Small children’s park is also there which is situated at one end of the stretch,a war memorial, a beautiful French church fitting the beach line, and a Mahatma Gandhi statue somewhere in the middle that doubles up slides ride for the kids.
It is a musical museum and research center in Auroville. It is one of the Auroville shops in Pondicherry which discovered an indigenous-looking wind chime created by Sharma. There you can find every variety of music and instruments from tribal instruments to contemporary resonators.
Quiet Healing Center
Here you can find many things from water-based therapy, and sound healing to the more well-known acupuncture, hot stone massage, shiatsu, and health spa in Auroville. Treatment is non-invasive and natural, so there are no side effects in it.
The place is located about 28 km from Pondicherry, hosting over 2500 silk Weavers. Not many know of siruvanthadu village near Villupuram. With more than 300 silk saree stores, the village plays second fiddle only to the famed Kanchipuram.
Promenade beach is one of the famous beaches, of Pondicherry. It is heaven on earth. This beach is 1.2 km long. There are many things to see around this beach, like an old lighthouse, the Dupleix statue, John arc, the statue of Mahatma Gandhi, etc. It is the best place to visit in Pondicherry, especially for those who like to spend their time in a calm place. This beach is away from the crowd of the city. If you want to know about Pondicherry or its history, there is a well-established tourist center. It is the best place to stay calm and take full enjoyment of a sun bath. Make your mind relaxed and fresh here.
Shri Aurobindo Ashram
On 24th November 1926, Shri Aurobindo Ashram was established in Pondicherry. It is the best places to visit in Pondicherry, especially for spiritual tourists. The main idea behind this ashram is to tell about the enlightening of Shri Aurobindo and Mira Alfassa. This ashram was created, to tell about the ways of living life in a different manner, but with the piece. In that ashram, there is a small playground, bakery, guest house, dispensary, etc. The timings of this ashram is 8 am to 12 pm noon and in the afternoon 2 pm to 6 pm.
Shri Varadaraja Perumal Temple
Shri Varadaraja Perumal Temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu. Beautiful style of architecture is used, like the Dravidian style of architecture and Chola architecture. This temple is the oldest temple of Pondicherry. The walls and the pillars are decorated with the architecture of Gods and Goddesses. It is one of the famous places to visit in Pondicherry. Behind this temple, there is another temple, which is also dedicated to Lord Vishnu.
Auroville is a type of complex, which is covering an area of around 20 sq km. Anybody visiting this place, should spend 1 week here, for the full enjoyment of the place. Auroville was founded in 1968, by shri Aurobindo and Mira Alfassa. Inside it there are many activities that can be enjoyed there like taking food on the community dining hall, guest introduction, Savitri Bhavan, Matrimandir, libraries, etc. The design and architecture of this place were done by Roger Anger. If you want to get inner peace then it is the best place to visit Pondicherry. It is also known as the city of Dawn. The main idea behind this temple is that, people should live with each other, without thinking of the cast.
Basilica Of The Sacred Heart Of Jesus
Basilica of the sacred heart of Jesus is located on the south part of Pondicherry. The gothic style of architecture is used to make the interior of the church. It was established in 17th December 1907. On the glass of the windows, paintings of saints, who are dedicated to Jesus, are made there. Inside the church there is the cave, which is dedicated to the Lady of Lourdes. The height of the church is around 50 meters and by width, it is 48 meters. But the recent look of the church was given in 2005.
French War Memorial
French war memorial is located in Goubert Avenue. It was built in 1971. This is made for those brave soldiers who had given their life, in First World War. On 14th July, every year the tribute is given to those soldiers. The people who are coming for the ‘Pondicherry tourism’, should have to visit this place, they will get to know many things about the soldiers.
Ousteri Wetland And National Park
Ousteri Wetland and National Park is located at a distance of 10kms from Pondicherry. It mainly lies on the border of Pondicherry. This place covers an area of around 3.9 sq. km. This park is the home of many unique flora and fauna. Many migratory birds, aquatic life, insects, some special trees and herbal plants can be seen there. It is a beautiful place that loves to see flora and fauna. If you want to enjoy houseboats, then it is the best place to visit Pondicherry.
Immaculate Conception Cathedral
Immaculate conception Cathedral is also known as “Samba Kovil”. It was established in 1686, it is a very old church of Pondicherry. Mother Teresa has also visited this church. This church is made in memory of St. Peter. It is the only church, which is survived since the time of the British. It is the ‘Pondicherry tourist place’, you should have to visit it. The church is of Capuchins.
Pondicherry museum is situated at Saint Louis Street. There you will get to see the various handicraft of Bronze and stone. It is the main part of Pondicherry tourism. In the museum, many sculptures like the Chola dynasty and Pallva, are made of different metals. Many other collections of things which are from the time when the French are ruling here, like lamps, paintings, handicrafts, various types of dresses and many other things can be seen here. The people who want to know the history of Pondicherry, like how the French have ruled here, can gather the information, from this museum. If you want to gather information, then it is the best places to visit in Pondicherry.
Botanical Garden was established in 1862, by C.S. Perrotet. It is also made in the French style. There are many various types of plants. For the enjoyment of children, it is a good Pondicherry visiting place. There are many different types of fountains also. The garden is having is an aquarium and many unique types of herbs.
These are the top tourist spots in Pondicherry which makes it the perfect destination for tourists from all across the country. Pondicherry tourism has gained a lot of revenue recently due to the overwhelming number of visitors from all around India and even from various parts of the world.
How to reach
Pondicherry can be reached by:
- Air: The nearest airport is Puducherry Airport, located about 5 km from the city.
- Train: Pondicherry has a railway station with trains connecting to major cities in India.
- Bus: Pondicherry is well connected by road with major cities in the region. State-run and private buses are available.
- Road: Pondicherry is located on the East Coast Road and is easily accessible by road from Chennai, Bangalore, and other cities.
Things to do in Pondicherry
- Visit the Auroville Ashram: Auroville is an international community dedicated to human unity and a better world. The ashram has a peaceful and serene atmosphere, and visitors can explore the town, gardens, and cultural spaces.
- Explore the French Quarter: The French Quarter is a charming area with colonial-style buildings, cafes, and shops. Visitors can walk around and experience the unique mix of French and Indian culture.
- Visit the Sri Aurobindo Ashram: The Sri Aurobindo Ashram is a spiritual community founded by Sri Aurobindo, a philosopher, yogi, and poet. Visitors can tour the ashram and attend meditation and yoga classes.
- Walk along Promenade Beach: The Promenade Beach is a scenic stretch of beachfront with a long walkway. Visitors can take a stroll, relax, and enjoy the views of the Bay of Bengal.
- Visit the Pondicherry Museum: The Pondicherry Museum showcases the history and culture of Pondicherry and the surrounding region. Visitors can see exhibits on archaeology, geology, folklore, and more.
- Explore the Botanical Garden: The Botanical Garden is a lush green space with a variety of plant species and a tranquil lake. Visitors can take a leisurely walk, picnic, and enjoy the scenic beauty.
- Visit the Statue of Dupleix: The Statue of Dupleix is a large bronze statue in honor of Joseph Francois Dupleix, the French Governor of Pondicherry. Visitors can admire the statue and its surroundings.
- Try local cuisine and shopping at Gandhi Market: Gandhi Market is a bustling market in Pondicherry where visitors can sample local cuisine, shop for souvenirs, and experience the local culture.
- Visit the Immaculate Conception Cathedral: The Immaculate Conception Cathedral is a historic Catholic church in Pondicherry, known for its stained glass windows and Gothic architecture.
- Take a boat ride on the Chunnambar backwaters: Chunnambar is a serene backwater area with a boating area. Visitors can take a relaxing boat ride, enjoy the scenery, and spot local wildlife.
Where to stay in Hotel
In Pondicherry, some popular places to stay include:
- The Promenade by GRT Hotels: A luxurious 5-star hotel located near the beach and the French Quarter, offering upscale rooms, dining options, a spa, and more.
- La Villa Shanti: A charming boutique hotel in the heart of the French Quarter, offering beautifully decorated rooms, a rooftop restaurant, and a garden.
- Palais de Mahe: A colonial-style hotel located in the French Quarter, offering elegant rooms, a restaurant, and a pool.
- Green Lotus: An eco-friendly hotel offering comfortable rooms, yoga classes, and an organic farm.
- Nalla Eco Beach Resort: A beachfront resort located in a serene setting, offering cottages, a restaurant, and water sports activities.
- The Hans Coco Palms: A coconut palm-lined hotel offering comfortable rooms, a restaurant, and a pool.
- Villa Helena: A stylish villa in a peaceful location, offering spacious rooms, a garden, and a pool.
- The Richmond: A colonial-style hotel located near the beach and the French Quarter, offering spacious rooms, a restaurant, and a spa.
- Hotel des Indes: A colonial-style hotel located in the French Quarter, offering elegant rooms, a restaurant, and a bar.
- Hotel Palakkad Residency: A budget-friendly hotel located near the railway station, offering basic rooms and amenities.
Note: These are just a few options, and there are many other hotels, resorts, and guesthouses available to suit different budgets and preferences.
Best time to visit Pondicherry
The best time to visit Pondicherry is from October to March, during the winter months when the weather is pleasant and comfortable. During this time, temperatures are usually in the range of 20°C to 30°C, making it ideal for outdoor activities, sightseeing, and beach visits. The monsoon season, from June to September, can bring heavy rains and high humidity, which may not be ideal for some travelers.