Sharing is Caring
Princep Ghat in Kolkata- a colonial tourist attraction
It is among those places of Kolkata where you can revive your soul and breathe freely in nature’s refreshing air along the bank of River Hooghly. Yes, Princep Ghat is the first and last destination when you think of experiencing the best of Kolkata. It is a place for people of all ages. Most of the family come here to have a picnic during the winter days on the weekends. The place serves as the most romantic outdoor and the couples can breathe freely away from the hustle bustle of city life and the busy crowds. People also come here to take a snapshot of Howrah Bridge that lies very close to it. The Ghat became more famous after the movie shoot out of film Parineeta where Vidya Balan and Saif Ali Khan were seen in the scene of the song ‘piu bole’.
History of Princep Ghat in Kolkata
It was constructed during the British rule in the year 1841 in the memory of the famous scholar James Princep. It stands between the St. Jorge’s gate and the water gate of the major Fort William. The white monuments in the park are crafted with Gothic and Greek inlays. It is being well maintained since 2001 by the PWD of the state. The bank of the river is in use since the British period. it has also got a railway station in its name. There is a jetty too that is used by the Navy.
What to do
- You may go for boating on your weekends in the evening time to explore the beauty of the river and the Vidyasagar Setu or the Howrah Bridge that is the main attraction of the place.
- There is a stall which is almost 40 years older and it sells fast food and ice creams. The most eaten ice cream in the region is the scoop.
- The impressive architecture of the Palladian structure offers a good background for them who love to shoot photos.
- It also serves as a great playground for the kids with slides and rides.
- The circular railway ride is suggested for the lovers, which is believed to bring good luck to the relationship.
- The view of the bridge and the monument looks majestic at night that would behold you in mesmerizing beauty.
- Stroll around the gardens full of greeneries and walk along the shore of the river which is just perfect to spend your leisure time.
How to reach Princep Ghat and Entry Timing
Local trains go through the station of Princep Ghat. You may come through this station or else buses, taxis are easily available from different parts of the city. Princep Ghat is located on Strand Road and the nearest metro station is Esplanade and from there you may board the bus or hire a cab to reach there. Alternatively, boats are available from Babughat and then walk to Princep Ghat that takes nearly 20 minutes. Special boats are there for the visitors, the price of which ranges from 200 to 400 rupees. The entry timing starts from 8 in the morning till 9:30 in the evening.
Nearby places to visit
There are many attractive tourist spots in the vicinity such as Victoria Memorial, Fort William, Belur Math, Indian Museum, and Birla Planetarium. After visiting these places you may plan to get here to recreate yourself after the whole day journey. There are many hotels nearby to stay like the Cornfield Retreat, the Oberoi Grand Hotel, and Den Vennel Guest house. Other budget hotels are also easy to find. Foods are the best part of Kolkata as you could find many delicious dishes in some of the nearby restaurants.
The place is an ideal retreat for nature loving people. Recently it has been renovated with more flora decoration which attracts lots of people. Entering Princep Ghat is free of any entry fee. Locals find it the best place for strolling around in the evening to get fresh oxygen. This place is a must visit whenever you step in Kolkata. Enough privacy is given to couples. Like any other monuments, these monuments of Princep ghat are also stuffed with names of lovers making their love immortal.