Thekkady Tour India
Thekkady is a popular tourist destination located in the state of Kerala in India. It is known for its rich biodiversity and scenic beauty and is home to the Periyar National Park and Wildlife Sanctuary, which is a major attraction in the region.
Thekkady is situated in the Western Ghats and is known for its lush green forests, rolling hills, and tea and spice plantations. Visitors to Thekkady can enjoy activities such as boat rides on the Periyar Lake, jungle walks, bamboo rafting, and wildlife safaris.
The Periyar National Park is home to a diverse range of wildlife, including elephants, tigers, leopards, gaurs, and deer. Visitors can also see a variety of bird species, including hornbills and kingfishers.
Thekkady is also famous for its spice trade, and visitors can take tours of local spice plantations to learn about the cultivation and processing of spices such as cardamom, pepper, and cloves. The town itself has a bustling market where visitors can purchase spices and other local products.
Overall, Thekkady is a wonderful destination for nature lovers and those seeking a peaceful retreat amidst the beauty of nature.
What is the city famous for?
How to reach
Thekkady is located in the Indian state of Kerala, and there are several ways to reach the town:
- By Air: The nearest airport to Thekkady is Madurai Airport, which is located around 140 km away. From the airport, you can take a taxi or a bus to reach Thekkady.
- By Train: The nearest railway station to Thekkady is Kottayam, which is around 114 km away. From Kottayam, you can take a taxi or a bus to reach Thekkady.
- By Bus: Thekkady is well connected by road, and there are regular bus services from nearby towns and cities such as Kochi, Kottayam, and Madurai.
- By Car: If you are traveling from nearby cities, you can hire a taxi or drive your own car to reach Thekkady. The roads are well-maintained, and the journey is quite scenic.
Once you reach Thekkady, you can easily get around the town by local buses, taxis, or by hiring a scooter or motorcycle.
What does climate say?
Thekkady experiences a tropical climate. The weather remains pleasant with the temperature reaching a maximum of only 31 degrees centigrade. The minimum temperature records 16 degrees centigrade.
What magnetizes people?
Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary
Spreading over an area of 777 sq km, the Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary is the main attraction of Thekkady. It stands by the side of the river Periyar. The sanctuary was declared a Tiger Reserve in the year 1978. One can observe a huge variety of flora and fauna here. The flora of the sanctuary includes over 1965 flowering plants, 171 grass species, and 143 species of Orchids. The animal inmates of the park are tiger, wild elephant, Gaur, Sambar deer, wild boar, lion-tailed macaque, Malabar giant squirrel, jungle cat, sloth bear, etc. There are also numerous species of avifauna and reptiles. The sanctuary is open from 06-00 hours to 18-00 hours.
The lake of the Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary is yet another popular tourist attraction at Thekkady. The lake is formed by the Mullaperiyar Dam across the Periyar river. There also stands a palace located in the heart of the lake. The palace attracts a big number of visitors. The visitors can avail of the boat cruises on the Periyar Lake.
The Watch Tower is another charm within the park. From the tower, one can also have a wonderful view of the surrounding areas. The maintenance of the tower is done by the Forest Department. It also serves as a fantastic place to view animals.
Mangala Devi Temple
At a distance of 15 km from Thekkady, lies the Mangala Devi Temple. The temple is located at an elevation of 1337 m above sea level. It is a fine example of the traditional Keralan style of architecture. It is held in high esteem by the Hindus and is visited regularly by a good number of devotees.
Which are the nearby hotels?
Hotel Spice Village (180 km from Kochin Airport) and Hotel Taj Garden Retreat (135 km from Madurai Airport) are 4-star hotels at Thekkady while AranyaNiwas (135 km from Madurai Airport) is a 3-star. The popular resorts at Thekkady include names like Cardamom County Hotel (130 km from Madurai Airport) and Shalimar Spice Garden Hotel (140 km from Madurai Airport).
Where should you shop?
Kumily, 4 km away from Thekkady, is a chief shopping and spice trade center. One can also buy souvenirs from here to take back home. There are numerous other interesting commodities on sale.
Where to Stay
Thekkady offers a wide range of accommodation options for visitors, ranging from budget guesthouses to luxury resorts. Here are some popular options for where to stay in Thekkady:
- Periyar House: This is a budget-friendly option located inside the Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary. It offers basic accommodation and is ideal for nature lovers.
- Spice Village: This is a luxury resort set amidst a spice plantation. It offers well-appointed cottages, a swimming pool, and a range of activities such as cooking classes and plantation tours.
- Elephant Court: This is a premium resort located near the Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary. It offers spacious rooms and suites, a swimming pool, and a range of activities such as trekking and birdwatching.
- Greenwoods Resort: This is another luxury resort located amidst a spice plantation. It offers spacious cottages, a swimming pool, and a range of activities such as yoga and meditation classes.
- Sterling Thekkady: This is a mid-range hotel located in the heart of Thekkady town. It offers well-appointed rooms and suites, a swimming pool, and a range of activities such as indoor games and bonfire evenings.
There are many more accommodation options available in Thekkady, and visitors can choose one based on their budget and preferences. It is advisable to book in advance, especially during peak tourist seasons, to ensure availability.
Nearby Attraction with km
There are several nearby attractions to visit from Thekkady. Here are some popular options along with their distance from Thekkady:
- Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary – 1 km
- Mangala Devi Temple – 12 km
- Mullaperiyar Dam – 23 km
- Vandiperiyar – 15 km
- Murikkady – 6 km
- Chellarkovil – 17 km
- Gavi – 40 km
- Vagamon – 70 km
- Kumily – 4 km
- Thekkady Rose Park – 1 km
All of these attractions are easily accessible from Thekkady and can be reached by local buses, taxis, or by hiring a scooter or motorcycle. Visitors should check the timings and entry fees before planning their visit.
The Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary is one of the major attractions in Thekkady, known for its rich biodiversity and wildlife. Here are some details about the wildlife that can be found in the sanctuary:
- Elephants: The Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary is home to a large population of elephants, and visitors can spot these majestic creatures during boat rides or jungle walks.
- Tigers: Though rare to spot, the sanctuary is home to a small population of tigers. Visitors can go on a wildlife safari to try and catch a glimpse of these elusive creatures.
- Gaurs: Gaurs, also known as Indian bison, can be found in large numbers in the sanctuary. They are the largest wild cattle species in the world.
- Deer: The sanctuary is home to several species of deer, including the spotted deer and the sambar deer.
- Wild boars: Visitors can spot these animals during their jungle walks or wildlife safaris.
- Malabar Giant Squirrel: This is a large, colorful squirrel that can be found in the sanctuary.
- Nilgiri langur: This is a black-faced monkey that can be found in the sanctuary.
Apart from these, the sanctuary is also home to several species of reptiles, amphibians, and birds. Visitors can take guided tours or wildlife safaris to get a closer look at the wildlife and learn more about their behavior and habitat. It is important to follow the rules and regulations of the sanctuary to ensure the safety of the wildlife and visitors.
Here is some essential information that can be helpful for visitors planning a trip to Thekkady:
- Best time to visit: Thekkady can be visited throughout the year, but the best time to visit is between October and March when the weather is cool and pleasant.
- Weather: Thekkady has a tropical climate, with hot and humid summers and cool and pleasant winters. The average temperature ranges from 20°C to 32°C.
- Clothing: Visitors are advised to wear comfortable cotton clothing, especially during the summer months. During the winter months, light woolen clothing may be required.
- Language: Malayalam is the official language of Kerala, but English is widely spoken and understood.
- Currency: The currency used in India is the Indian Rupee (INR).
- Transportation: Local buses and taxis are available for transportation within Thekkady. Visitors can also hire a scooter or motorcycle for getting around the town.
- Safety: Visitors are advised to take necessary precautions while traveling in Thekkady, such as avoiding traveling alone at night, keeping valuable items secure, and following the rules and regulations of the Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Food: Thekkady is known for its spicy and flavorful cuisine, with dishes such as appam, dosa, idli, and fish curry being popular. Visitors should try the local cuisine and also be cautious when eating street food.
- Medical facilities: Thekkady has several hospitals and clinics, and visitors are advised to carry a basic medical kit with them, including medications for common ailments such as fever and headache.
- Electricity: The electricity supply in Thekkady is 220-240V, and visitors are advised to carry a universal adapter for charging their electronic devices.