Valiyathura Pier- a fishing port in Kerala
Valiyathura is a coastal region near Shankhumugham in Kovalam and is a suburb of the capital of Kerala– Thiruvananthapuram. Previously it was the largest part of the southern coast of Kerala and after Kochi became a major port, it is now only a fishing port. It is a tourist spot due to its panoramic view of the sea. The waves of the sea are quite rude and it gets fiercer in the rainy season. Visitors enjoy the rolling of waves and the magical sunset from the Valiyathura Pier. Another major attraction of the beach is watching the fishermen doing different activities to catch fish. People visiting there can also catch fish with their help or else buy varieties of freshly caught fish from them. This place is a favorite of sea lovers where they could view the waves from very near.
About Valiyathura Pier
The pier was previously used to transport cargo to other countries but now this pier is used by the fishermen to launch their catamarans (wooden boat-like) when the weather condition is rough. The pier is 60 years old and is 700 feet long. It is made up of cement and steel supported by 127 piles of concrete. The pier had 10 tonner cranes that were used to load and unload cargoes from the ships. But its location being in the water it got damaged gradually. Now the warehouses, structures, and cranes are of no use and are already destroyed. Visitors can see fishermen throwing their catamarans into the sea and then jumping into the sea to get into it. After that, they are engaged in fishing. This is a wonderful activity to see in the beach. The Harbor Engineering Department is now in charge to reconstruct the pier in order to bring more tourists to the spot.
History of Valiyathura Pier
During the rule of Travancore king, Valiyathura was called as Raithura. When the Valiyathura port was regarded as the major port of Kerala, it was under the rule of Raja Solomon. The port was used to export articles and spices to different places. During the war between Marthanda and Pillai, the soldier of Pillai was given protection by the fishermen of the region. At that time some of the soldiers married some Valiyathura girls and settled there.
The Valiyathura beach is located at a distance of 8km from the city center of Trivandrum. The Trivandrum airport is the nearest airport to Valiyathura. The airport is located nearby Valiyathura and the pier could be seen from the plane when it takes off or lands. Buses and cars are easily available from anywhere in the city.
The pier can be visited at any time of the year. But it could be quite risky to go there in monsoon due to high tides. So winter season serves as the most suitable season to visit there due to the awesome weather for sightseeing. The pier is best to take photographs of the beautiful blue sea well contrasted with the green beach. The best snaps could be taken during the evening when the sun slides down making the sky appear red. At that time, it seems like somebody dissolved the red color into the blue ocean. The spot is just a perfect spot to hang out with friends or spend a lovely time with partners and family.
The Valiyathura Pier is a must-visit when you are in Thiruvananthapuram. It would not take much time to reach there and you could get to the spot during sunset to best enjoy the view. Standing at the pier and watching the surrounding sceneries and activities of the local people is a nice option to spend a quality evening. It you are visiting there alone then you would never feel lonely and bored. The rolling waves hitting the shore and listening to the sound while watching the red sun at dusk would engage your mind to feel the beauty of nature. You would be stunned to see such splendor where the sky meets the sea. The two forces of nature are seen to mingle with each other. So you must definitely go there to take pleasure in the mesmerizing views and click few stunning images of nature.
Valiyathura Pier Travel guide
Valiyathura Pier is a popular tourist destination located in the Indian state of Kerala. It is a historic fishing pier located on the outskirts of Thiruvananthapuram city, and offers stunning views of the Arabian Sea and the surrounding countryside. Here are some tips for visiting Valiyathura Pier:
- Timing: The best time to visit Valiyathura Pier is during the early morning or late evening when the weather is cooler and you can enjoy the beautiful sunrise or sunset.
- Transportation: Valiyathura Pier is easily accessible by bus or taxi from Thiruvananthapuram city. If you’re driving, there is ample parking available at the pier.
- Fishing Experience: Valiyathura Pier is a popular spot for fishing and you can rent fishing equipment or join a fishing tour to catch fish in the Arabian Sea.
- Local Cuisine: There are several seafood restaurants near Valiyathura Pier that serve fresh, delicious local cuisine, including grilled fish and seafood dishes.
- Local Culture: Valiyathura Pier is located in a traditional fishing village, and visiting the area gives you the opportunity to experience the local culture and way of life.
- Safety: While Valiyathura Pier is generally a safe area, it’s always a good idea to exercise caution and be aware of your surroundings.
- Photography: Valiyathura Pier offers stunning views of the Arabian Sea, so don’t forget to bring a camera to capture the memories.
In conclusion, Valiyathura Pier is a must-visit destination for anyone traveling to Thiruvananthapuram, and offers a unique blend of natural beauty, cultural experiences, and adventure.
Things to do
Here are some things to do:
- Fishing: Valiyathura Pier is a popular spot for fishing, and you can rent fishing equipment or join a fishing tour to catch fish in the Arabian Sea.
- Sunset viewing: Valiyathura Pier offers stunning views of the Arabian Sea and the surrounding countryside, making it a popular spot to watch the sunset.
- Photography: With its beautiful scenery, Valiyathura Pier is a great place to take photos. Don’t forget to bring your camera!
- Explore the local village: Valiyathura Pier is located in a traditional fishing village, and you can explore the area to learn about the local culture and way of life.
- Seafood dining: There are several seafood restaurants near Valiyathura Pier that serve fresh, delicious local cuisine, including grilled fish and seafood dishes.
- Beach activities: If you’re looking for a place to relax and enjoy the beach, Valiyathura Pier is a great option. You can sunbathe, swim, or take a walk along the shore.
- Local shops: There are several shops in the area that sell souvenirs and local handicrafts, so you can take a piece of Valiyathura Pier back home with you.
- Bird Watching: Valiyathura Pier is a popular spot for bird watching, with a variety of bird species found in the area, including seabirds, wading birds, and migratory birds.
In conclusion, there are plenty of things to do at Valiyathura Pier, so be sure to plan your visit to make the most of your time there.