Vetal Tekdi, the highest hill in Pune
The Vetal Hill is located at a height of 2600 feet in the city of Pune, Maharashtra. The name of the hill derives its name from the temple Vetala which stands on top of the hill. The Marathi name of the hill is known to all by Vetal Tekdi. The hilly region is maintained by the forest department of India on a deck beside the temple. The hill is a portion of Bhamburda Van Vihar situated in the western direction of Pune Municipal Cooperation. The hill possesses two spurs- Chathurshirga and Fergusson College hill. The hilly region spreads its area over SNDT University of Women, MIT college, Gokhale Nagar, ILS Law College and Chhaturshrungi. Only one road is there that runs from the south to the hill. Along the road, there is parking apace.
The summer seems to be very hot and dry as well. Due to this sometimes small forest fires could be seen inside the forest of Vetal Takdi. During the rainy season, the place becomes slippery and hard to climb. And in the winter season, the weather becomes foggy and cool. If you have a thirst for adventure then the weather should not affect your desires. Sunset and sunrise are very attractive and photographers find this place interesting due to this reason. Dry deciduous forests inhabit the hilly terrain. Shrubs and trees of medium size make the most of the forest. In monsoon season plants of herbaceous species creeps out and occupy most of the place. According to the Agharkar Research Institute, there is the existence of angiosperms species, pteridophytes, and bryophytes in the Vetal hill.
How to reach Vetal Tekdi
Climbing the hill is available from Kothrud, Chhaturshrungi, and Pashan. You need to take the help of the guides for climbing the hill as you do not know the route. Cabs are available from Paud road and you can also reach there from the Deccan side.
Things to do
- It feels very inspiring when we see people walking and jogging into the natural vegetation for a new refreshing start-up.
- Cycling is another activity that is done by some of people.
- It is an awesome region where couples can spend time together amidst nature. No inappropriate things are done here by them.
- Photography is definitely the most fantastic activity to do here
- A walk from Chhatursghrungi to Kothrud will never tire you rather you can enjoy a satisfying walk.
- People accumulate on weekends to watch birds as the area has diverse species of birds like sunbirds, Indian Robin, peafowls, bulbul, francolins, white-breasted kingfisher, and a lot more.
Interesting facts about Vetal Hill
Vetala Hill, also known as Vetal Hill or Vetala Tekdi, is a hill located in Pune, India that is considered to be one of the most important hills in the city. Here are some interesting facts about Vetal Hill:
- Location: Vetal Hill is located in the eastern part of Pune, near the Mumbai-Bangalore highway. It is one of the highest points in the city and offers a panoramic view of the surrounding area.
- Hindu mythology: According to Hindu mythology, Vetal Hill was named after the demon king Vetala, who was believed to reside on the hill and terrorize the nearby village. The hill was later consecrated to Lord Hanuman, and a temple dedicated to the deity was built at the top.
- Trekking destination: Vetal Hill is a popular trekking destination for adventure enthusiasts. The trek to the top of the hill offers breathtaking views of the city and its surroundings, making it a popular spot for photography.
- Flora and fauna: Vetal Hill is surrounded by dense forests that are home to a variety of wildlife, including monkeys, birds, and reptiles. The hill is also covered with lush vegetation, including various species of trees and shrubs.
- Cave paintings: Vetal Hill is also home to several ancient cave paintings that date back thousands of years. These paintings are considered to be of significant historical and cultural importance and are protected by the government.
- Temple: At the top of Vetal Hill, there is a temple dedicated to Lord Hanuman. The temple is considered to be one of the most important religious sites in Pune and attracts thousands of visitors each year.
Nearby places to Visit
Sure! Here are brief descriptions of some nearby places to Vetal Hill in Pune, India:
Sinhagad Fort is a historic fort located just a few kilometers from Vetal Hill. It was built during the 17th century and offers a stunning view of the surrounding countryside. The fort is a popular destination for trekkers and history buffs, and is also home to several temples and other structures of historical significance.
Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park:
The Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park, also known as the Rajiv Gandhi Zoo, is located near Vetal Hill in Pune. It is one of the largest zoos in India and is home to a wide variety of animals, including tigers, lions, monkeys, and birds. The zoo is a popular destination for families and nature lovers, and offers several attractions and activities for visitors of all ages.
Shaniwar Wadi is a historic palace located in the heart of Pune. It was built in the 18th century and served as the residence of the Peshwa rulers of the Maratha Empire. The palace is now a popular tourist attraction and is home to several museums, temples, and other cultural attractions.
The Osho Ashram is a spiritual retreat located near Vetal Hill in Pune. It was founded by the controversial spiritual leader Osho, and is now a popular destination for spiritual seekers and wellness enthusiasts. The ashram offers a range of activities and programs, including meditation, yoga, and therapy sessions, and is known for its serene and peaceful atmosphere.
Aga Khan Palace:
The Aga Khan Palace is a historic palace located near Vetal Hill in Pune. It was built in the 19th century and served as the residence of the Aga Khan, a prominent leader of the Ismaili Muslim community. The palace is now a museum and is home to several exhibits and collections that chronicle the history and culture of India and the region.
Places to Eat
If you’re looking for places to eat near Vetal Hill in Pune, India, here are a few options to consider:
- The Oriental Terrace: The Oriental Terrace is a popular restaurant that offers a range of Asian and international cuisine. The restaurant is known for its elegant decor, beautiful views, and delicious food.
- Annapurna Restaurant: Annapurna Restaurant is a family-friendly restaurant that offers a wide selection of vegetarian dishes. The restaurant is known for its affordable prices, friendly service, and delicious food.
- The Bombay Canteen: The Bombay Canteen is a popular restaurant that offers a fusion of Indian and international cuisine. The restaurant is known for its innovative menu, stylish decor, and friendly service.
- The Yellow Chilli: The Yellow Chilli is a gourmet restaurant that offers a range of Indian and international dishes. The restaurant is known for its creative menu, beautiful decor, and exceptional service.
- Sudarshan Veg Thali: Sudarshan Veg Thali is a popular restaurant that specializes in vegetarian thalis. The restaurant is known for its traditional dishes, affordable prices, and friendly service.
These are just a few of the many dining options available near Vetal Hill in Pune. Whether you’re looking for a casual meal or a fine dining experience, you’re sure to find something to suit your taste and budget.
Here are answers to some frequently asked questions about Vetal Hill in Pune, India:
- How do I reach Vetal Hill?
Vetal Hill is located in the eastern part of Pune and can be reached by car, taxi, or public transportation. The hill is situated near the Mumbai-Bangalore highway and is well connected to the rest of the city by road.
- What is the best time to visit Vetal Hill?
The best time to visit Vetal Hill is during the monsoon season (June to September) when the hill is surrounded by lush green vegetation. The hill can also be visited during the rest of the year, although it may be hot and dry during the summer months.
- Is there a trek to the top of Vetal Hill?
Yes, there is a trek to the top of Vetal Hill that takes approximately 2 hours to complete. The trek is considered to be of moderate difficulty and offers stunning views of the city and its surroundings.
- Are there any temples or religious sites on Vetal Hill?
Yes, there is a temple dedicated to Lord Hanuman at the top of Vetal Hill. The temple is considered to be one of the most important religious sites in Pune and attracts thousands of visitors each year.
- Is Vetal Hill a good place for photography?
Yes, Vetal Hill is a popular spot for photography due to its stunning views and lush vegetation. Whether you’re a professional photographer or an amateur, you’re sure to find plenty of opportunities for capturing beautiful images on Vetal Hill.
- Is there any accommodation available near Vetal Hill?
Yes, there are several hotels and resorts located near Vetal Hill in Pune. These accommodations offer a range of amenities and services to suit the needs of visitors, and are a convenient base for exploring the hill and its surroundings.