Yumthang Valley Travel Guide
Yumthang Valley, known as the Valley of Flowers of Sikkim, is surrounded by natural wonders and picturesque beauty at an altitude of 3500 meters above sea level in North Sikkim. The travel guide of Yumthang Valley, the amazing attraction of Sikkim, is mentioned in this article so that tourists can get information about tourist attractions, local food, and how to reach near Yumthang Valley.
Yumthang Valley The magical scenery, and breathtaking and captivating surroundings of more than 25 species of rhododendrons of green trees make Yumthang Valley an attractive hotspot. The cold and mild climate of the valley makes the weather thrilling and amazing. Yumthang Valley has many attractive places and tracks where tourists can do some adventurous and recreational activities. Tourists can get to know Yumthang Valley Travel Guide more thoroughly here.
Best time to visit Yumthang Valley
Nestled amidst the mighty mountains and tranquil rivers, the Yumthang Valley is an ideal place to roam throughout the year. During summer, between March and June, one can see the green nature adorned with new flowers of spring. At this time there is also the local Luxor Festival of Sikkim in which tourists can explore the traditional culture and costumes of the place.
Apart from this, tourists can do snowfall and related activities in winter from October to February. During the monsoon Yumthang Valley is prone to heavy rains and landslides, so avoid visiting this time. Tourists can plan to visit Yumthang Valley according to themselves.
Things to do near Yumthang Valley
1. Go to zero point
Just a short distance from the Yumthang Valley is the Zero Point, an attractive place from where tourists can see all around. At an altitude of 15,000 feet above sea level, the zero point is covered and reduced due to snowfall. As tourists climb the height of zero points, from there you can see the amazing sight of Sikkim and from here the valley will look like a snow-covered bowl. During the snowfall here, tourists can enjoy icy games and beautiful views. Tourists will get several taxis to travel from Yumthang Valley to Zero Point.
2. Check out The Shingba Rhododendron Sanctuary
The Shingba Rhododendron Sanctuary is spread over 43000 hectares at an altitude of more than 3000 meters above sea level. Tourists can see the beautiful species of rhododendron in the serene environment, rhododendron nivem, the flowers of the state tree. During the spring, many fruit flowers are planted on the tree plants which surprise everyone.
Apart from this, tourists can see creatures like red panda, musk deer, and Himalayan Vessel and beautiful local birds like Himalayan monal and blood pheasant in this sanctuary. During winter, the entire sanctuary is surrounded by snow, and white icy sightings are seen all around.
3. Visit the Lachung monastery
Tourists can visit Lachung Monastery to get a cultural experience after seeing the natural beauty of Yumthang Valley. Tourists can see the Buddhist culture and architecture in Lachung Monastery, which is a little less attractive than the big monasteries like Rumtek, but you will find a lot of new things in the monastery’s murals and ancient sculptures. The mask dance, which is held every year, is known as the main attraction of this monastery, which is visited by a large number of tourists to see it.
4. During the winter there is good snowfall in the valley, during this time tourists can do skiing and other icy activities.
5. Go to the Yumthang Chu River and do photography in a beautiful view and relax in a peaceful environment near the river.
6. There are many hot springs near the Yumthang Valley where tourists can have hot water springs. This water is sulfuric and contains many medicinal properties that get rid of skin-related diseases.
Local Food in Yumthang Valley
Yumthang Valley does not get to eat so many delicious dishes, tourists can take some Himalayan food and momos, lentils, fish, and rice here. Momoj is considered a local popular dish due to the influence of Tibetan culture in Sikkim.
Accommodation in Yumthang Valley
There is no big hotel or resort to stay in Yumthang Valley, there is a rest house where tourists can spend some time. Therefore, tourists can stay at hotels, resorts and homestays in Lachung, located just a few miles away. Hotel Tenzing Retreat in Lachung, Apple Valley Inn, Yarlam Resort & Spa is quite popular where tourists will feel quite good.
How to reach Yumthang Valley
Tourists cannot reach the Yumthang Valley directly by any means, for this they must first go to Gangtok or Lachung.
Airways: – Tourists can travel from any city of India to Bagdogra Airport by air, after this, after reaching Gangtok, you can take a taxi from there to Yumthang Valley.
Rail route: – New Jalpaiguri is the nearest railway station near Yumthang Valley which is connected to almost all major cities of India. Tourists can take taxis from here to Gangtok and Gangtok to Yumthang Valley.
By Road: – Tourists can reach Yumthang Valley via taxi from here after reaching Gangtok.
Yumthang Valley Travel Tips
- Yumthang Valley chooses the best time and carries all the necessary items with you.
- The weather in Yumthang Valley is cold, so take warm clothes with you.
- The Yumthang Valley is the closest to the Chinese border so you must have a local government-issued permit and keep the tourist voter card and Aadhaar card with you for other basic information.
- If you are traveling during Covid-19, then keep masks, sanitizers with you and also follow the instructions issued by the Sikkim government for Covid-19.
- Before going to Yumthang Valley, keep the necessary medicines with you and there can be difficulty in breathing at high altitude, so please consult the doctor first.
- If you are a tourist, keep cash with you as there are less ATM and phone network available here.
The Yumthang Valley is a unique gem of Sikkim that attracts a large number of tourists. Yumthang Valley is surrounded by beautiful flowers in summer, while snow is covered in winter, in addition, tourists can undertake many adventurous and exciting activities here. The Yumthang Valley Travel Guide mentioned here will give you a lot of good information during your journey.