Mullick Ghat wholesale flowers market in Kolkata,
Mullick Ghat is a well-known wholesale market in Kolkata, India, situated near the Hooghly River. It is known for its extensive range of goods, including vegetables, fruits, flowers, and fish. The market has been in operation for more than a century and is a significant source of livelihood for many traders in the region.
Mullick Ghat market is famous for its fish section, where vendors sell a wide variety of freshwater and saltwater fish, including prawns, crabs, and lobsters. The market is also famous for its flower section, which sells a range of flowers, including marigolds, roses, and jasmine, which are used in religious ceremonies and festivals.
The market is generally busy and crowded, and it can be quite overwhelming for visitors who are not used to the hustle and bustle of Indian markets. However, for those who are looking to experience a traditional Indian market and immerse themselves in the local culture, Mullick Ghat is a must-visit destination in Kolkata.
Mullick Ghat market has a long and rich history that dates back to the early 1900s. It was founded by the Mullick family, who were wealthy traders and landlords in Kolkata. The Mullicks owned extensive land holdings along the Hooghly River, and they decided to build a market on the site to serve the local community.
The market was initially designed to be a wholesale market for fish and other seafood, as the Mullicks recognized the importance of the fishing industry to the local economy. Over time, the market expanded to include other products, such as fruits, vegetables, and flowers.
During the early years of the market, it was known as “Mullikar Ghat,” which roughly translates to “Mullick’s Landing.” The market became a popular destination for traders and buyers from across Kolkata, and it helped to spur economic growth in the region.
In the decades that followed, the market underwent several changes and renovations, with new sections added to accommodate the growing demand for various products. Despite these changes, Mullick Ghat has remained a vital hub of commerce and trade in Kolkata, and it continues to be an important source of livelihood for many families in the region.
How to reach
Mullick Ghat is located in the central part of Kolkata, near the banks of the Hooghly River. There are several ways to reach the market, including:
- By Taxi or Auto-rickshaw: Taxis and auto-rickshaws are readily available throughout Kolkata, and they can take you directly to Mullick Ghat. The market is located near the Howrah Bridge, which is a well-known landmark in the city, so most drivers should know how to get there.
- By Bus: There are several bus routes that pass through Mullick Ghat, and you can take a bus from various parts of Kolkata to reach the market. The nearest bus stop is at the Howrah Bridge, which is a short walk from the market.
- By Metro: The nearest metro station to Mullick Ghat is Howrah Station, which is located about 1.5 kilometers from the market. From there, you can take a taxi or auto-rickshaw to reach the market.
- By Train: Howrah Station is also a major railway station in Kolkata, and you can take a train from various parts of India to reach the city. Once you arrive at Howrah Station, you can take a taxi or auto-rickshaw to reach Mullick Ghat.
Overall, Mullick Ghat is easily accessible by various modes of transportation, and it is located in a central part of Kolkata, making it a convenient destination for visitors to the city.
Things to See and Do
Mullick Ghat is a bustling and vibrant market that offers visitors a unique glimpse into the daily life of Kolkata. Here are some things you can see and do when you visit:
- Explore the Fish Market: The fish market at Mullick Ghat is one of the most famous in Kolkata, and it’s a must-visit destination for seafood lovers. You can see a wide variety of freshwater and saltwater fish, including prawns, crabs, and lobsters, and watch as vendors clean and prepare the fish for sale.
- Shop for Flowers: The flower market at Mullick Ghat is also a popular destination, particularly during festival seasons. You can see a variety of colorful flowers, including marigolds, roses, and jasmine, and even buy garlands or bouquets for personal use or religious ceremonies.
- Sample Local Food: There are several food stalls and restaurants near Mullick Ghat that serve delicious local cuisine. You can try popular dishes like fish curry, biryani, and sweets like rasgulla or sandesh.
- Watch the Sunrise or Sunset: Mullick Ghat is located near the Hooghly River, and it offers stunning views of the sunrise or sunset over the water. You can sit by the river and watch the boats go by or take a ferry ride to see the city from a different perspective.
- Visit nearby landmarks: Mullick Ghat is located near several landmarks, including the Howrah Bridge, the Victoria Memorial, and the Dakshineswar Kali Temple. You can plan a day trip and visit these sites before or after your visit to the market.
Overall, Mullick Ghat is a vibrant and exciting destination in Kolkata, and there is plenty to see and do when you visit.
Market Opening time
Mullick Ghat market generally opens very early in the morning, typically around 4 or 5 AM, and it operates until mid-day or early afternoon. The exact opening time may vary slightly depending on the day of the week and the section of the market you wish to visit.
The fish market at Mullick Ghat is typically open every day, including Sundays and holidays, while the flower market may have different opening hours depending on the season and the availability of fresh flowers.
It’s recommended to arrive early in the morning if you want to experience the bustling atmosphere of the market and witness the traders in action. However, if you’re visiting for leisure, you can plan your visit later in the morning or early afternoon when the crowds start to thin out.
Overall, it’s best to check the specific opening hours of the section of the market you wish to visit before planning your trip to Mullick Ghat.
Here are some frequently asked questions about Mullick Ghat:
- What is Mullick Ghat? Mullick Ghat is a bustling wholesale market located in the central part of Kolkata, near the banks of the Hooghly River. It’s famous for its fish market, flower market, and its unique atmosphere that provides visitors with a glimpse into the daily life of Kolkata.
- What can I buy at Mullick Ghat? You can buy a wide variety of goods at Mullick Ghat, including fish, vegetables, fruits, and flowers. The fish market is particularly well-known, and it’s considered one of the best places in Kolkata to buy seafood. The flower market is also famous for its range of flowers that are used in religious ceremonies and festivals.
- What is the best time to visit Mullick Ghat? Mullick Ghat market generally opens very early in the morning, typically around 4 or 5 AM, and it operates until mid-day or early afternoon. It’s recommended to arrive early in the morning if you want to experience the bustling atmosphere of the market and witness the traders in action.
- Is Mullick Ghat open on Sundays? Yes, the fish market at Mullick Ghat is typically open every day, including Sundays and holidays, while the flower market may have different opening hours depending on the season and the availability of fresh flowers.
- How do I get to Mullick Ghat? Mullick Ghat is easily accessible by various modes of transportation, including taxi, auto-rickshaw, bus, metro, and train. It’s located near the Howrah Bridge, which is a well-known landmark in Kolkata, making it a convenient destination for visitors to the city.