Nana Rao Park
Nana Rao Park – One historical heritage in Kanpur
The historical city of Kanpur was established by the subordinates of the ‘Chandela Dynasty’. There was a myth that said the place was known as Kanhaiyapur in honour of Lord Krishna. During the British Raj, the place got its name as Cawnpore and hence changed to Kanpur. There are a number of historical locations in this city. Nana Rao Park in Kanpur was named after Peshwa Nana Rao, a remarkable personality and an activist, who fought against the British in the first war of independence in 1857. It is to honour the great man, that the park was named after him. During the time when Cawnpore was under attack by the Britishers, Nana Sahib negotiated with them for the safe passage of his family to Allahabad. On the day of the voyage, General Wheeler with his army marched to the Ganges. Due to the dry summer season, Ganga was sluggish and covered with mud banks which made it difficult to navigate. This incident led to a memorable historical event that made him immortal. There is a Memorial Well surrounded by railings, a marble Gothic screen and a cross at the site of the well. History says that the people residing there were forced to pay for the construction of the well. The Nana Rao Park has statues of some eminent personalities and freedom fighters that lost their lives fighting against the British. It includes the statues of Rani Lakshmi Bai, Lala Lajpat Rai, Tantiya Tope and Ajizan Bai.
Importance of Nana Rao Park
Nana Rao Park is considered to be the largest park in the city rich in flora and fauna. The park has a number of trees and the fountain adds to its beauty. There is a stone relic which has historical relevance. In its place, there used to be a banyan tree named ‘Boodha Bargad’. It is said that the tree witnessed the mass hanging of around 144 people during the 1857 rebellion. The park is well-maintained. It is frequented by a lot of fitness groups during the morning and evening. It is one of the favorite outdoor locations for many people.
Nana Rao Park is situated exactly in the center of the city, along with the main civil lines area. The Kanpur Railway station is at a distance of 14km while the Kanpur Airport is 12km from the park. The park is preserved and has historical significance to the fight for independence; therefore no price is charged for entering in it. The Kanpur Mahanagar Palika looks after the maintenance and cleanliness of the Park. It is open throughout the year, the timings ate from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm. The best time to take a look at this beautiful place is from October to February when the weather is feasible.
Nana Rao Park Top Attractions
Nana Rao Park is a park located in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh, India. Some of the top attractions within the park include:
- Statue of Nana Rao: A statue dedicated to the park’s namesake, Nana Rao.
- Playground: A children’s playground with swings, slides, and other fun equipment.
- Jogging Track: A jogging track for fitness enthusiasts.
- Lake: A serene lake with boating facilities.
- Amphitheater: An open-air theater for cultural events and performances.
- Botanical Garden: A lush green garden with a variety of plants and flowers.
- Picnic Areas: Picnic areas for families and friends to spend time together.
- Fitness Equipment: Outdoor fitness equipment for a workout amidst nature.
Overall, Nana Rao Park is a popular recreational spot in Kanpur, offering a variety of attractions and facilities for visitors to enjoy.
How to reach
located in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh, India. Here are some of the ways to reach the park:
- By Air: The nearest airport to Nana Rao Park is Chaudhary Charan Singh International Airport, located approximately 45 km from the park. From the airport, you can take a taxi or public transportation to reach the park.
- By Rail: The nearest railway station to Nana Rao Park is Kanpur Central Railway Station, which is well-connected to major cities in India. From the railway station, you can take a taxi or public transportation to reach the park.
- By Road: Nana Rao Park is well connected by road to other parts of Kanpur and Uttar Pradesh. You can reach the park by taking a taxi, auto-rickshaw, or public transportation such as buses.
It is advisable to check local transportation options and timings in advance to plan your trip to Nana Rao Park.
Nana Rao Park in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh, India offers a variety of activities for visitors to enjoy. Some of the popular activities within the park include:
- Jogging: The park has a jogging track for fitness enthusiasts to get their daily dose of exercise.
- Boating: Visitors can enjoy a relaxing boat ride on the park’s lake.
- Children’s Playground: The park has a children’s playground with swings, slides, and other fun equipment for kids to play on.
- Picnicking: The park has picnic areas where families and friends can spend quality time together.
- Amphitheater: The open-air theater in the park is perfect for cultural events and performances.
- Botanical Garden: The park has a lush green botanical garden where visitors can admire the beauty of nature.
- Fitness Equipment: Outdoor fitness equipment is available for visitors who want to workout amidst nature.
Overall, Nana Rao Park offers a range of activities for visitors of all ages and interests. Whether you’re looking to relax, stay active, or spend time with loved ones, Nana Rao Park has something for everyone.
Nana Rao Park is located in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh, India. There are several nearby attractions that visitors to the park may be interested in visiting:
- Shri Radhakrishna Temple: A Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Krishna, located approximately 3 km from Nana Rao Park.
- Phool Bagh: A popular park and picnic spot in Kanpur, located approximately 4 km from Nana Rao Park.
- Kanpur Memorial Church: A historic church built in memory of the British soldiers who died during the First War of Indian independence, located approximately 6 km from Nana Rao Park.
- JK Temple: A modern Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Shiva, located approximately 8 km from Nana Rao Park.
- Jain Glass Temple: A temple dedicated to Jain Tirthankaras and famous for its glass work, located approximately 10 km from Nana Rao Park.
- Kanpur Zoo: A popular zoological park featuring a variety of animals, located approximately 12 km from Nana Rao Park.
- Allen Forest Zoo: A scenic zoological park spread over an area of 76 hectares, located approximately 15 km from Nana Rao Park.
These are just a few of the many attractions in and around Kanpur that visitors to Nana Rao Park may want to explore.
Here are some common frequently asked questions about The Park:
- What is Nana Rao Park?
- Nana Rao Park is a park located in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh, India.
- What are some of the attractions within the park?
- Some of the attractions within the park include a statue of Nana Rao, a playground, a jogging track, a lake with boating facilities, an amphitheater, a botanical garden, picnic areas, and outdoor fitness equipment.
- How can I reach Nana Rao Park?
- Nana Rao Park can be reached by air, rail, or road. The nearest airport is Chaudhary Charan Singh International Airport and the nearest railway station is Kanpur Central Railway Station. The park is well connected by road to other parts of Kanpur and Uttar Pradesh.
- What activities can I do in Nana Rao Park?
- Visitors can enjoy jogging, boating, playing on the children’s playground, picnicking, attending cultural events and performances at the amphitheater, admiring the botanical garden, and using outdoor fitness equipment.
- What are some nearby attractions to Nana Rao Park?
- Some nearby attractions to Nana Rao Park include Shri Radhakrishna Temple, Phool Bagh, Kanpur Memorial Church, JK Temple, Jain Glass Temple, Kanpur Zoo, and Allen Forest Zoo.
These are some of the most frequently asked questions about Nana Rao Park. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
Timing and Fees
The timing and fees for Nana Rao Park in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh, India are as follows:
- Timing: Nana Rao Park is open to visitors every day of the week, from sunrise to sunset.
- Fees: There is no entry fee to visit Nana Rao Park. However, there may be charges for certain activities within the park, such as boating.
It is advisable to check with the park authorities for the most up-to-date information on timing and fees.