Nehru Zoological Park is a popular zoo located in Hyderabad, India. It was opened in 1963 and covers an area of about 380 acres. The park is home to a wide variety of animals, birds, and reptiles from India and around the world.
Some of the popular animals that can be seen at Nehru Zoological Park include lions, tigers, leopards, elephants, giraffes, zebras, deer, antelopes, hippopotamuses, rhinoceroses, and various species of primates. The zoo also has a large collection of birds, including peafowl, parrots, eagles, vultures, owls, and waterfowl.
Visitors to the zoo can take a safari ride to see some of the larger animals in their natural habitats, and there are also several walking trails and picnic areas throughout the park. The zoo also has a museum and a children’s train, making it a popular destination for families.
However, it is important to note that some animal welfare organizations have raised concerns about the treatment of animals at Nehru Zoological Park and other zoos in India, so visitors should consider these concerns before deciding to visit.
Hyderabad is a city with a rich history and culture, and the area has been inhabited for thousands of years. The earliest recorded history of Hyderabad dates back to the 2nd century BCE, when it was a part of the Mauryan Empire. Later, the city was ruled by several dynasties, including the Satavahanas, Kakatiyas, and Qutub Shahis.
In 1724, Hyderabad became the capital of the Nizams of Hyderabad, a Muslim dynasty that ruled the area for over two centuries. During this time, Hyderabad developed into a center of culture, art, and commerce, and many magnificent palaces, mosques, and other buildings were constructed.
In 1947, India gained independence from British rule, and Hyderabad became a part of the newly-formed Indian Union. However, the Nizam of Hyderabad initially resisted integration with India, leading to the brief and bloody “Hyderabad State” conflict in 1948, which resulted in the annexation of Hyderabad by India.
Today, Hyderabad is the capital of the Indian state of Telangana and is known for its rich cultural heritage, delicious food, and bustling IT industry. The city has continued to grow and develop, becoming a major center of technology and business in India, while still maintaining its unique character and charm.
Things to do
Hyderabad is a vibrant city with plenty of things to see and do. Here are some suggestions:
- Visit the iconic Charminar – a 16th-century monument and mosque in the heart of the old city.
- Explore the Chowmahalla Palace – a beautiful palace built in the 18th century that was once the seat of the Asaf Jahi dynasty.
- Wander around the beautiful gardens of the Golconda Fort – a historic fort with stunning views of Hyderabad.
- Take a stroll through the Laad Bazaar – a bustling market known for its beautiful bangles and other traditional items.
- Experience the culture and heritage of Telangana at the Telangana State Museum.
- Enjoy a delicious meal at a local restaurant and try some of the famous Hyderabadi biryani.
- Visit the Salar Jung Museum – one of the largest art museums in India with a vast collection of artefacts from around the world.
- Take a boat ride on the Hussain Sagar Lake and visit the famous Buddha statue.
- Learn about the history of the city at the Qutub Shahi Tombs – the final resting place of the rulers of the Qutub Shahi dynasty.
- Experience the nightlife of Hyderabad at the many bars, clubs and restaurants that the city has to offer.
Hyderabad is a modern city with a range of facilities and amenities to cater to locals and tourists alike. Some of the facilities you can expect to find in Hyderabad include:
- Accommodation – Hyderabad has a range of accommodation options to suit all budgets, including luxury hotels, mid-range hotels, and budget guesthouses.
- Public transportation – Hyderabad has a good public transportation system, including buses, metro trains, and auto-rickshaws.
- Medical facilities – Hyderabad has several top-class hospitals and medical facilities that offer high-quality healthcare services.
- Shopping – The city has numerous shopping malls, markets, and standalone stores, offering everything from traditional textiles and handicrafts to high-end luxury goods.
- Food and Dining – Hyderabad is famous for its delicious cuisine, and you will find plenty of restaurants and cafes serving traditional Hyderabadi dishes as well as international cuisine.
- Communication – Hyderabad has a good internet and telecommunications network, and you can easily find mobile SIM cards and internet access at reasonable prices.
- Banking – Hyderabad has a range of banks, ATMs, and currency exchange facilities to cater to the needs of visitors.
- Tourist Information Centers – Hyderabad has several tourist information centers where you can get information about the city’s attractions, events, and other useful information to help you plan your visit.
Feature of Nehru Zoological Park
Nehru Zoological Park is a popular tourist attraction in Hyderabad, India, and has several features that make it a unique destination for animal lovers. Here are some of its features:
- Wide variety of animals – The zoo is home to over 1,500 animals from around the world, including tigers, lions, elephants, giraffes, zebras, hippos, rhinos, and many species of birds, reptiles, and primates.
- Safari Ride – The park offers a thrilling safari ride through open enclosures, where visitors can observe animals such as tigers, lions, and bears in their natural habitats.
- Nocturnal Animals – The zoo has a dedicated section for nocturnal animals, where visitors can see species such as bats, owls, and other nocturnal creatures that are active at night.
- Animal Shows – Nehru Zoological Park has a variety of animal shows, including bird shows, sea lion shows, and a butterfly park.
- Museum – The zoo has a Natural History Museum that showcases a variety of animal skeletons, fossils, and specimens.
- Conservation – The zoo is actively involved in conservation efforts, such as breeding endangered species, protecting habitats, and raising awareness about wildlife conservation.
- Children’s Train – The park has a small train that runs through the zoo, which is a popular attraction for children.
Overall, Nehru Zoological Park provides visitors with an opportunity to see and learn about a wide variety of animals and their habitats, while also promoting conservation and environmental awareness.
How to reach
Nehru Zoological Park is located in the Bahadurpura area of Hyderabad, approximately 16 km from the city center. Here are some ways to reach the park:
- By Car or Taxi – You can hire a car or taxi from any part of the city to reach Nehru Zoological Park. It takes around 40 minutes to an hour to reach the park from the city center, depending on traffic conditions.
- By Public Transport – You can take a bus from the city center to the Nehru Zoological Park bus stop, which is located just outside the park. There are several buses that operate on this route, and the journey takes around 45 minutes to an hour.
- By Metro – You can take the Hyderabad Metro to the Zoo Park station, which is located just a short walk from the park entrance. The metro is a convenient and affordable option, especially during peak traffic hours.
- By Auto-rickshaw – You can hire an auto-rickshaw to reach the park from any part of the city. Make sure to negotiate the fare before boarding the auto.
Regardless of the mode of transport you choose, it is advisable to plan your visit in advance and check for any traffic or weather updates to avoid any inconvenience.
Where to stay
Hyderabad has a wide range of accommodation options to suit all budgets and preferences. Here are some options for places to stay near Nehru Zoological Park:
- The Golkonda Resorts and Spa – This luxurious resort is located approximately 4 km from the zoo and offers a range of amenities such as a spa, swimming pool, and fitness center.
- Katriya Hotel and Towers – This mid-range hotel is located approximately 8 km from the zoo and offers comfortable rooms, a swimming pool, and several dining options.
- Novotel Hyderabad Airport Hotel – This upscale hotel is located approximately 17 km from the zoo and offers a range of amenities such as a spa, fitness center, and swimming pool.
- Hotel Swagath Grand – This budget hotel is located approximately 7 km from the zoo and offers clean and comfortable rooms at affordable prices.
- Hotel Mandakini Jaya International – This budget hotel is located approximately 9 km from the zoo and offers comfortable rooms and a restaurant.
These are just a few examples of the many accommodation options available in Hyderabad. You can use online travel booking platforms to find more options and compare prices. It is advisable to book your accommodation in advance to ensure availability, especially during peak tourist seasons.
Timing and Entry Fees
Here are the details about the timing and entry fees for Nehru Zoological Park in Hyderabad:
Timing: The park is open every day except for Mondays. The timings for the park are as follows:
- April to June: 8:00 am to 5:30 pm
- July to March: 8:30 am to 5:00 pm
Entry Fees: The entry fees for Nehru Zoological Park are as follows:
- Adults (above 12 years): Rs. 50/-
- Children (between 3 to 12 years): Rs. 20/-
- Camera fees: Rs. 50/-
- Video Camera fees: Rs. 100/-
- Safari Ride: Rs. 100/- (per person)
Note: Prices are subject to change. It is always advisable to confirm the fees and timings before visiting the park.
Additionally, the park also offers special discounts for school and college students on weekdays. Visitors can also book a tour guide at an additional cost to enhance their experience and learn more about the animals and their habitats.
Sure, here are some frequently asked questions about Nehru Zoological Park:
What are the safari timings at Nehru Zoological Park?
The safari timings are the same as the park timings – from 8:00 am to 5:30 pm (April to June) and 8:30 am to 5:00 pm (July to March).
Can we bring food and drinks inside the park?
Visitors are not allowed to bring food and drinks inside the park. However, there are several food stalls and restaurants located within the park that offer a variety of snacks and meals.
Are pets allowed inside the park?
No, pets are not allowed inside the park.
Is photography allowed inside the park?
Yes, photography is allowed inside the park. However, visitors need to pay a camera fee of Rs. 50/- and a video camera fee of Rs. 100/-.
Is there a parking facility available at Nehru Zoological Park?
Yes, there is ample parking available near the park entrance for cars, buses, and two-wheelers.
Are there any special activities for children at the park?
Yes, there are several activities for children at the park, including a children’s train, a butterfly park, and a play area.
Is the park accessible for differently-abled visitors?
Yes, the park is accessible for differently-abled visitors, with wheelchair facilities and ramps available at various locations.