Tiffin Top (Dorothy’s Seat), Nainital Overview
Situated in Ayarpatta Hill of Himachal Pradesh, Tiffin Top is an exceptionally famous tourist fascination in Nainital. A fantastic excursion spot in its own right, one gets a total perspective of the town of Nainital and its surrounding hills in the Kumaon area from this area. Its serene and quiet condition makes it irresistible to photographers. Those who cherish nature’s magnificence must not miss out on this excursion spot. Enterprise activities such as rappelling and shake climbing are directed in Tiffin Top as well.
The fascination got its name as Tiffin Top after individuals started to eat on top of the slope on Dorothy’s Seat. Tiffin Top is also called Dorothy’s Seat because it was constructed in the cherishing memory of the English artist named Dorothy Kellett by the armed force officer Col J.P. Kellett. The officer lost his better half Dorothy whilst she was on board a ship to be with her four youngsters. She was covered in the Red Sea in the year 1936. The wonderful Tiffin Top is surrounded by trees of Cher, Oak, and Deodar. Naini Lake and Kumaon Hills look dazzling when seen from here. On clearer days, one can also get hold of the majestic perspective of Nanda Devi.
Hiking to Tiffin Top
The picturesque scenery of Tiffin Top serves as a perfect place to go for an adventurous hike. The hike is around 4 kilometers in length from the downtown area and attributable to the harsh landscape can be classified as a medium to hard trip. The surrounding peaks of the Aryapatta Hills and the splendid landscape of Nainital make it most loved among locals and tourists alike. The view from the apex is amazing, and you can catch a 10,000-foot perspective of the city in your camera or delight in its enchanting magnificence.
Activities at Tiffin Top
The curious magnificence of Tiffin Top is perfect for some great old sightseeing, or you can satisfy its name and have a delicious tiffin supper from the neighborhood eateries. You can also employ ponies to take you to the pinnacle, in spite of the fact that be cautious as the landscape is very perilous. Round outing pony charges can extend from INR 500 to INR 700. An excursion here with friends and family is a must!
Dorothy Seat or Tiffin top, why this name was given
Dorothy’s Seat or Tiffin Top was worked by a British Army Officer Col J.P. Kellett, DSO MC, City of London Regiment in memory of her wife,an English artist, Dorothy Kellet after she kicked the bucket from septicemia on board a ship headed for England to be with her 4 youngsters, Elizabeth, Joan, Barbara, and Richard. She was covered at sea in The Red Sea in 1936.
Tiffin Top is the name assigned after individuals who used to have day lunch at top of the slope on Dorothy’s Seat. From Tiffin Top visitors can witness a bird’s eye perspective of the excellent city and adjacent Kumaon hills. As Tiffin Top is at 4 km from Nainital town, numerous tourists also appreciate the trek to Tiffin Top.
Best time to visit
The best time to visit Tiffin Top in Uttarakhand, India, would depend on your personal preference and the activities you want to engage in.
For scenic views and pleasant weather, the best time is during the summer months of April to June, and during the autumn months of September to November.
If you want to engage in adventure activities like trekking and camping, the monsoon months of July to August would be a good time to visit, as the rain makes the landscapes lush and green.
However, it’s important to note that the roads to Tiffin Top may be closed during the winter months due to heavy snowfall and inclement weather, so it is advisable to check road conditions before making your visit.
How to reach Tiffin Top
Tiffin Top is located in the state of Uttarakhand, India, and can be reached by various modes of transportation:
- By Air: The nearest airport to Tiffin Top is Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun, which is about 57 km away. From there, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach Tiffin Top.
- By Train: The nearest railway station is Dehradun Railway Station, which is about 57 km from Tiffin Top. From there, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach your destination.
- By Road: Tiffin Top is well connected by road and is accessible by taxi or local bus services. Buses and taxis are easily available from major cities in Uttarakhand, such as Dehradun and Mussoorie.
It’s advisable to check the road conditions in advance, especially during the monsoon and winter months, as the roads may be slippery or closed due to heavy rain or snowfall.
Here’s a general traveler’s guide for visiting Tiffin Top in Uttarakhand, India:
- Accommodation: There are several guesthouses and hotels available in the area for travelers to choose from, ranging from budget-friendly options to luxury accommodations. You can also opt for camping or trekking experiences if you’re looking for a more adventurous option.
- Food: There are several local restaurants and street food stalls in the area that serve delicious local cuisine. You can try dishes like Garhwali, Kumaoni, and Tibetan food.
- Weather: The weather in Tiffin Top can be quite pleasant during the summer months, with temperatures ranging from 20°C to 25°C. However, it can get cold during the winter months, with temperatures dropping to below 0°C. Be prepared for sudden weather changes, especially during the monsoon season.
- Clothing: It’s advisable to carry lightweight, comfortable clothes for the summer months and warm clothing for the winter months. Rain gear is also essential during the monsoon season.
- Health and Safety: The area is generally safe for travelers, but it’s always good to take precautions, such as carrying a first-aid kit, using insect repellent, and being aware of your surroundings. If you have any pre-existing medical conditions, it’s advisable to carry your medication with you.
- Activities: Tiffin Top offers a variety of activities for travelers, such as trekking, camping, and sightseeing. You can also explore nearby attractions like the Rajaji National Park, Mussoorie, and Haridwar.
It’s always a good idea to research your destination and plan your trip accordingly to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience.
Here are some interesting facts about Tiffin Top in Uttarakhand, India:
- Location: Tiffin Top is located on Arya Peak in the Garhwal Himalayas, about 8 km from the town of Landour in Uttarakhand.
- History: The name Tiffin Top is derived from the colonial era, when British officials would stop at the peak for a leisurely lunch (known as “tiffin” in India).
- Scenic Views: Tiffin Top offers breathtaking views of the Himalayan mountain range and the surrounding valleys, making it a popular destination for tourists and photographers.
- Adventure Activities: Tiffin Top is a popular spot for trekking and camping, as well as bird-watching, as the area is home to a variety of bird species.
- Local Culture: The area surrounding Tiffin Top is predominantly inhabited by the Garhwali and Kumaoni communities, and visitors can experience the local culture by visiting nearby villages and participating in local festivals and events.
- Conservation Efforts: The forest around Tiffin Top is protected as a reserve forest, and efforts are underway to conserve the local wildlife and vegetation.
- Accessibility: Tiffin Top is accessible by road and is a popular day trip destination from nearby cities like Dehradun and Mussoorie. However, visitors should be aware of the steep, winding road to the top and plan their trip accordingly.
Tiffin Top is located in the beautiful state of Uttarakhand, India, and there are several nearby attractions that visitors can explore:
- Landour: This charming town is located just 8 km from Tiffin Top and is known for its colonial-era architecture, scenic views, and peaceful atmosphere.
- Mussoorie: This popular hill station is located about 35 km from Tiffin Top and is known for its scenic beauty, adventurous activities, and shopping opportunities.
- Rajaji National Park: This protected wildlife reserve is located about 40 km from Tiffin Top and is home to a variety of wildlife, including tigers, elephants, and leopards.
- Haridwar: This ancient city is located about 65 km from Tiffin Top and is known for its holy rivers, temples, and ashrams.
- Dehradun: This bustling city is located about 57 km from Tiffin Top and is known for its colonial-era architecture, museums, and shopping opportunities.
These are just a few of the many attractions near Tiffin Top, and visitors can choose to explore one or several depending on their interests and time constraints.