Benaulim Beach is a popular tourist destination located in South Goa, India. It is situated about 40 km from the capital city of Panaji and is known for its picturesque beauty and tranquil atmosphere. The beach is named after the local village of Benaulim, which is situated near the beach.
Benaulim Beach is known for its soft white sand and crystal clear water, making it a perfect place for swimming, sunbathing, and relaxing. It is relatively less crowded than some of the other popular beaches in Goa, which makes it a great spot for some peace and quiet.
Visitors can also enjoy a variety of water sports at Benaulim Beach, including parasailing, jet skiing, and banana boat rides. There are also several beachside shacks and restaurants that serve delicious Goan cuisine, as well as international dishes.
One of the main attractions of Benaulim Beach is the Church of St. John the Baptist, which is situated nearby. This historic church, built in the 16th century, is a popular tourist spot and is known for its beautiful architecture and religious significance.
Overall, Benaulim Beach is a great place to visit for anyone looking for a peaceful and relaxing beach experience in Goa.
How will you gain access?
Dabolim (70 km) is the closest airport to Benaulim. Karmali (52 km) is the nearest railway station. There are regular bus services from Colva which is 2 km away from Benaulim. The buses run to and from Margao which is an 8 km distance from Benaulim. From Margao, one can also take a bus to Panaji.
What magnetises people?
St. John Church
The Church of St John the Baptist is located atop a hill beyond the village. The arrival of monsoon announces the Feast of St. John the Baptist. The young men of the village jump into the wells to commemorate the movement of St. John when he was in his mother’s womb and visited by Mary, the mother of Jesus.
Varca Beach is about 2 km south of Benaulim beach. Here, The row of beached wooden fishing boats is worth watching. There are a number of palm-thatched long houses lining the foot of the grassy dunes.
The village of Benaulim is no less attractive for visitors. There are numerous mythologies attached to the place. It is said that the arrow of Lord Parsurama landed here when he created the state of Goa. The village is also famous for its rosewood furniture and carvings.
The Dolphin Cruises attract hordes of tourists and visitors from all around. Reasonably priced, these cruises are one’s chance of spotting dolphins as they prance about.
What are the beach sports in the store?
Benaulim is popular all around for its excellent fishing options. However, there are a number of water sports available to keep your adrenaline pumping. There are sports like surfing, para-sailing, windsurfing, water skiing, etc. A number of Government and private organizations including hotels and tour operators conduct regular water sports activities. Training courses can also be taken.
Which are the nearby hotels?
Accommodation at Benaulim consists of small-budget guesthouses. With the opening of star hotels at Benaulim, the place is pulling in hordes of tourists. The Taj Exotica (A 40-minute drive from the airport) is set like a jewel amid lush foliage. The hotel offers restaurants, bars, conference halls, a beauty parlor, swimming pools, a gym, a travel desk, a car rental, a shopping arcade, a doctor on call, 24-hour room service, laundry, golf, tennis, water sports, etc. The small-budget hotels include names like L’amour Beach Resort, Tansy Cottages, Hamilton Beach Resort, and Rosario’s Inn. Houses can also be hired as per one’s needs.
Things to do
There are many things to do at Benaulim Beach and in the surrounding areas. Here are a few suggestions:
- Enjoy the Beach: The main attraction of Benaulim Beach is, of course, the beach itself. Take a swim in the clear waters, soak up the sun on the soft white sand, and enjoy the peaceful atmosphere.
- Water Sports: If you are looking for some adventure, try out some of the water sports available at Benaulim Beach, such as parasailing, jet skiing, banana boat rides, and more.
- Visit the Church of St. John the Baptist: The historic Church of St. John the Baptist is located near the beach and is worth a visit for its beautiful architecture and religious significance.
- Explore the Local Markets: There are several local markets in the Benaulim area where you can find traditional Goan handicrafts, souvenirs, and fresh produce.
- Visit the Colva Beach: Colva Beach is another popular beach in the area and is located just a few kilometers from Benaulim Beach. It’s a great place to watch the sunset or enjoy a long walk on the beach.
- Visit Margao: Margao is the largest city in South Goa and is located just a few kilometers from Benaulim Beach. It’s known for its vibrant markets, historic churches, and beautiful architecture.
- Indulge in Goan Cuisine: Don’t forget to try out the local Goan cuisine at one of the many beachside shacks and restaurants. Seafood dishes like prawn curry, fish thali, and vindaloo are some of the popular dishes to try.
- Take a Yoga Class: Several yoga studios and retreats are available in the Benaulim area, providing a peaceful and relaxing way to start your day or wind down in the evening.
The major activity to do at Benaulim Beach is enjoying the beach itself. The soft white sand and crystal clear waters make it an ideal place to swim, sunbathe, and relax. The beach is relatively less crowded than some of the other popular beaches in Goa, which makes it a great spot for some peace and quiet. You can also take long walks on the beach, watch the sunset, and listen to the sound of the waves crashing against the shore.
Another popular activity is indulging in Goan cuisine at one of the many beachside shacks and restaurants. Seafood dishes like prawn curry, fish thali, and vindaloo are some of the popular dishes to try. You can also enjoy a variety of refreshing drinks and cocktails while enjoying the beautiful view of the beach.
For adventure lovers, there are several water sports available at Benaulim Beach, including parasailing, jet skiing, banana boat rides, and more. You can also take a yoga class or visit the historic Church of St. John the Baptist, which is located near the beach.
Overall, the major activity at Benaulim Beach is to enjoy the natural beauty and peaceful atmosphere, soak up the sun, and relax.
Where to Eat
There are several great places to eat at Benaulim Beach. Here are some recommendations:
- Johncy Restaurant and Bar: This is a popular beachside restaurant that serves delicious seafood and other Goan dishes. They also have a good selection of drinks, including cocktails.
- Blue Corner Beach Shack: This is a great place to enjoy a drink and some delicious food while enjoying the beautiful view of the beach. They serve a variety of Goan dishes, including fresh seafood.
- Pedro’s Beach Bar: This is a cozy beachside bar that serves a variety of drinks and some tasty snacks. They have a great selection of cocktails and often have live music in the evenings.
- Benaulim Village Restaurant: This restaurant is located in the nearby village and serves authentic Goan cuisine. They are known for their seafood dishes and also have a good selection of vegetarian options.
- Zeebop by the Sea: This is a popular seafood restaurant located near the beach. They have a great selection of fresh seafood dishes and also serve international cuisine.
- Kaju Tree Restaurant: This is a multi-cuisine restaurant that serves Indian, Chinese, and continental dishes. They have both indoor and outdoor seating options and are known for their friendly service.
These are just a few of the many great places to eat at Benaulim Beach. There are also several small beachside shacks that serve delicious snacks and drinks.
Sure, here are some frequently asked questions about Benaulim Beach:
Q: Where is Benaulim Beach located?
A: Benaulim Beach is located in South Goa, India, about 40 km from the capital city of Panaji.
Q: What is the best time to visit Benaulim Beach?
A: The best time to visit Benaulim Beach is from November to March when the weather is cool and dry, and the sea is calm. It is also the peak tourist season.
Q: What are some popular activities to do at Benaulim Beach?
A: The popular activities to do at Benaulim Beach include swimming, sunbathing, water sports, exploring the local markets, visiting the Church of St. John the Baptist, indulging in Goan cuisine, and taking yoga classes.
Q: Are there any accommodations near Benaulim Beach?
A: Yes, there are many accommodations near Benaulim Beach, including hotels, resorts, guesthouses, and homestays.
Q: Is Benaulim Beach safe for swimming?
A: Yes, Benaulim Beach is safe for swimming, but visitors should still take precautions, such as not swimming too far from the shore and following the instructions of the lifeguards on duty.
Q: Are there any restrictions on visiting Benaulim Beach?
A: No, there are no restrictions on visiting Benaulim Beach, but visitors are expected to follow the local laws and regulations and be respectful of the local culture and traditions.
Q: How far is Benaulim Beach from other popular beaches in Goa?
A: Benaulim Beach is located about 6 km from Colva Beach, 15 km from Palolem Beach, and 30 km from Baga Beach.