Munnar is one of the most lovely hill stations in the southern Indian state of Kerala. Located inside the hill ranges of Kerala 1600 m above the sea, where three mountain streams – Mudrapuzha, Nallathanni, and Kundala – appear with each other, Munnar can be a vision in green. A number of the greatest tea estates in Kerala may be noticed in Munnar, as the hills encompassing this scenic city are carpeted with tea bushes, spice plantations, and greenery. You will find also possibilities for nature walks, trekking, and bird-seeing tours in Munnar.
This can be an excellent location for trekking. Tea and espresso plantations further include the elegance of the hill station. Tourist points of interest in Munnar
You will discover a wide selection of tourist attractions such as Mattupetty, Devikulam, Attukal, etc. We recommend the following Well-known Sightseeing spots in Munnar:
Located at a height of 1700 m previously mentioned sea level, the lake, and the dam of Mattupetty is really a beautiful picnic spot. It is also well-known for its highly specialized dairy farm – a joint venture of India and Switzerland. You will discover about one hundred types of large-yielding cattle are reared right here.
At a distance of 7 km from Munnar, Devikulam is definitely an idyllic hill station with its velvet lawns, exotic flora, and fauna along with the great mountain air can be an uncommon encounter you can really feel right here. The Sita Devi Lake with its mineral waters and picturesque environment can be a great picnic spot.
Pallivasal will be the venue of the first Hydro Electric Project in Kerala and a location of immense scenic splendor, located at a distance of eight km from Munnar.
Eravikulam National Park:
Eravikulam Countrywide Park is located at a distance of 15 km from Munnar within the state of Kerala. The 97 sq. km. the park is situated in the Devikulam Taluk and is the property for the Nilgiri Tahr. Initially established to shield the Nilgiri tahr (Nilgiri Ibex), the Eravikulam Countrywide Park is located within the Devikulam Taluk with the Idukki District.
Situated about six km from Thodupuzha in the Thodupuzha – Moolavattom street, this artificial lake is available by road. The reservoir is an ideal haunt for vacationers searching for boating and fishing
Lock Heart Gap:
This really is a perfect place for adventure tourism and trekking, situated about thirteen km from Munnar. The new mountain air, the mist-clad hills, and the panoramic view ensure it is worthy of a visit.
Attukal is about 9 km from Munnar. A panorama of waterfalls and rolling hills, Attukal, located involving Munnar and Pallivasal, is a feast for the eyes. The place can also be ideal for long treks.
Located involving Munnar and Rajamala, at a distance of ten km kind Munnar, Nyayamakad is often a land of breathtaking waterfalls. The waters cascade down a hill from a height of about 1600 m. The enticing surroundings tend to make a great picnic spot and trekking level.
Hotels in Munnar
Munnar offers accommodation alternatives ranging from luxury Motels and hill resorts in Munnar and medium-priced Economy motels in Munnar, we supply you with the proper sort of accommodation for you as well as your household visiting Munnar to get a summertime retreat, honeymoon travel to Munnar, a loved one’s vacation in Munnar…
Things to do
Munnar offers a range of activities for visitors to enjoy, whether they are nature lovers, adventure enthusiasts, or simply looking to relax and unwind. Here are some of the top things to do in Munnar:
- Visit Eravikulam National Park: This national park is home to the rare Nilgiri Tahr, a type of mountain goat, as well as a variety of other wildlife, including the elephant, leopard, and several species of birds. Visitors can take a guided tour to spot the wildlife and also enjoy the scenic beauty of the park.
- Explore the Tea Plantations: Munnar is famous for its tea production, and visitors can take a tour of the tea plantations to see the process of tea production and learn about the history of tea in the region.
- Visit the Mattupetty Dam: This dam is surrounded by rolling hills and is a popular spot for boating and picnicking. Visitors can also take a walk around the dam and enjoy the beautiful views.
- Visit the Anamudi Peak: This is the highest peak in South India and offers panoramic views of the surrounding landscape. The peak is a popular destination for trekkers, and visitors can also enjoy a picnic at the summit.
- Enjoy a Trekking Adventure: Munnar is surrounded by rolling hills and offers a range of trekking opportunities for adventure enthusiasts. Visitors can choose from a variety of trails and explore the beauty of the Western Ghats.
- Visit the Tea Museum: This museum showcases the history and process of tea production in the region and is a must-visit for tea enthusiasts.
- Take a Boat Ride on the Kundala Lake: This serene lake is surrounded by lush green hills and is a popular spot for boating. Visitors can also enjoy a picnic by the lake.
- Visit the Top Station: This is the highest point on the Munnar-Kodaikanal road and offers breathtaking views of the surrounding landscape. Visitors can also enjoy a trek in the area and explore the local flora and fauna.
Overall, Munnar offers a range of activities for visitors to enjoy, and there is something for everyone in this picturesque hill station.
Where to stay
Munnar offers a range of accommodation options to suit different budgets and preferences. Here are some of the most popular places to stay in Munnar:
- Hotels: There are many hotels in Munnar, ranging from budget-friendly options to luxurious resorts. Visitors can choose from a variety of hotel categories, including 3-star, 4-star, and 5-star hotels, depending on their budget and requirements.
- Homestays: For those looking for a more authentic and immersive experience, homestays are a great option. These are typically local homes that have been converted into guesthouses and offer a unique cultural experience.
- Resorts: Munnar has several resorts that offer a range of amenities, including swimming pools, spas, and restaurants. Visitors can choose from budget-friendly resorts to luxurious options, depending on their budget and preferences.
- Campsites: For those looking for an outdoor adventure, camping is a popular option in Munnar. Visitors can choose from a variety of campsites, some of which are located in remote locations for a truly immersive experience.
- Treehouses: For those looking for a unique and eco-friendly option, treehouses are a great choice. These are typically elevated structures built in the trees and offer a unique and serene environment for visitors to enjoy.
No matter what type of accommodation you choose, Munnar has something to offer for everyone and visitors are sure to have a memorable and enjoyable stay.
Trekking is a popular activity in Munnar, and visitors can choose from a variety of trails to suit their interests and fitness levels. Here are some of the most popular trekking destinations in Munnar:
This is the highest peak in South India and offers a challenging and rewarding trek for experienced trekkers. The trail takes visitors through rolling hills, forests, and streams and offers breathtaking views from the summit.
This trek takes visitors to the second highest peak in the Western Ghats and offers a unique and challenging trekking experience. The trail passes through rolling hills and lush forests and offers views of the surrounding landscape.
This trek takes visitors to the highest peak in the Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary and offers a challenging and rewarding trek for experienced trekkers. The trail passes through rolling hills and offers panoramic views of the surrounding landscape.
This trek takes visitors to a popular viewpoint in Munnar and offers a scenic and easy trail suitable for visitors of all fitness levels. The trail passes through rolling hills and tea plantations and offers views of the surrounding landscape.
Kundala Lake Trek:
This trek takes visitors around the serene Kundala Lake and offers a peaceful and scenic trek suitable for visitors of all fitness levels. The trail passes through rolling hills and offers views of the surrounding landscape.
Regardless of your trekking experience and fitness level, there is a trail in Munnar to suit your needs, and visitors are sure to have an enjoyable and memorable trekking experience in this beautiful hill station.
How to reach
Munnar is well connected by road, rail, and air, making it easily accessible from major cities in India. Here are the details on how to reach Munnar:
- By Air: The nearest airport to Munnar is Cochin International Airport, which is located about 110 km away. From the airport, visitors can take a taxi or a bus to reach Munnar.
- By Rail: The nearest railway station to Munnar is Aluva railway station, which is located about 105 km away. From the railway station, visitors can take a taxi or a bus to reach Munnar.
- By Road: Munnar is well connected by road to major cities in South India, including Cochin, Trivandrum, and Madurai. Visitors can take a taxi or a bus to reach Munnar from these cities.
Overall, Munnar is easily accessible from major cities in India and visitors can choose the mode of transportation that best suits their budget and preferences.
Here are answers to some frequently asked questions about Munnar:
What is Munnar famous for?
Munnar is famous for its tea plantations, rolling hills, and scenic beauty. It is one of the most popular hill stations in South India and is known for its serene environment, adventure activities, and cultural experiences.
What is the best time to visit Munnar?
The best time to visit Munnar is from September to May, when the weather is pleasant and ideal for outdoor activities. The monsoon season, which lasts from June to August, is not recommended for visiting Munnar due to heavy rainfall.
What are some popular things to do in Munnar?
Some popular things to do in Munnar include visiting the tea plantations, trekking, visiting the local waterfalls and dams, and exploring the wildlife and bird sanctuaries. Visitors can also enjoy a range of adventure activities, including rock climbing, rappelling, and zip-lining.
What is the best way to get around Munnar?
The best way to get around Munnar is by hiring a taxi, which is readily available in the town. Visitors can also rent a bicycle or take a local bus to explore the surrounding areas.
What is the cost of living in Munnar?
The cost of living in Munnar is relatively low compared to other popular tourist destinations in India. Visitors can expect to spend between 500 to 1000 rupees per day for accommodation, food, and local transportation.
Is Munnar safe for tourists?
Yes, Munnar is generally safe for tourists. Visitors are advised to take common precautions, such as avoiding walking alone in deserted areas at night and keeping valuables in a safe place. Overall, Munnar is a peaceful and safe destination for visitors.