Amber Palace Jaipur
Where is the Amber Palace?
Amber Palace is located at a distance of 11 km from Jaipur, the capital of Rajasthan. It was the former capital of the Kacchwaha Rajputs. The Amber Fort is a major attraction in the city of Jaipur. Tourists can enter the fort by riding an elephant to the splendid Singh Pol gateway.
How will you gain access?
The Sanganer Airport (11 km from the City center) is the closest airport. There are direct flight services to places like Delhi, Mumbai, Udaipur, Jodhpur, and Aurangabad. By rail route, the city of Jaipur has links with Bikaner, Jodhpur, Udaipur, Ahmedabad, Secunderabad, Agra, Lucknow, Mumbai, Chennai, and Kolkata. The Delhi-Jaipur National Highway is counted among the finest roads in the country. The Rajasthan Roadways runs AC and deluxe coaches from Delhi.
What are the timings and the entry charges?
The Amber Palace remains open from 09-30 to 16-30 hours. For Indians, the entry fee is Rs 10, while for foreign nationals, an amount of Rs 50 is charged.
What does the past say?
The army commander of the Mughal Army, Raja Man Singh I began the construction of the Amber Palace in the year 1592. Later Raja Jai Singh and Sawai Jai Singh finished the construction of the palace.
What goes behind the architecture?
The Amber Palace is built in red sandstone and white marble, symbolizing a wonderful combination of Hindu and Mughal architecture. The fort complex constitutes gateways, gardens, halls, stairways, pillared pavilions, temples, and palaces. Some of the monuments inside the complex include the Sheesh Mahal, Jai Mandir, Diwan-e-Aam, Diwan-e-Khaas, and Kali Temple. The gigantic battlements, exquisite towers, and defensive structures of the fort are worth exploring. The Ganesha Pol is a massive gateway, decorated with paintings of the elephant-headed god Ganesha. There is the formal garden of Charbagh that is worth a visit. The Sukh Niwas and the Jagmandir Apartments are beautiful examples of the fusion of Rajput and Mughal architecture.
What are the nearby attractions?
The Hawa Mahal or the Palace of Winds is a five-story structure, consisting of tiny windows, arched roofs and balconies. It was erected for the royal ladies to watch the processions and other numerous activities in the streets.
The City Palace is a wonderful combination of the Rajasthani and Mughal architecture. The complex has a number of buildings, gardens, and courtyards inside.
The Jantar Mantar or the observatory was built by Sawai Jai Singh in the year 1728. The scientific instruments or the Yantras were built to measure the local time, the sun’s declination, azimuth and altitude, the declination of fixed stars and planets and to determine eclipses.
Gaitor lies at a distance of 8 km from Jaipur. There are a number of cenotaphs of the members of the royal family. These cenotaphs or Chhatris stand in a garden at the base of the Nahargarh Hills. The white-marble cenotaph of Sawai Jai Singh II is one of the most beautiful.
Things to do
There are several things to do and see at the Amber Palace in Jaipur. Here are some of the most popular activities:
- Explore the Palace: The Amber Palace is a vast complex with several buildings, courtyards, and gardens to explore. Visitors can spend hours exploring the palace, marveling at the intricate architecture, and taking in the stunning views of the surrounding hills and lakes.
- Visit the Sheesh Mahal: The Sheesh Mahal is a highlight of the Amber Palace, and it’s easy to see why. The chamber is entirely covered in tiny mirrors, and when light is shone on them, the room sparkles with thousands of tiny lights. It’s a beautiful and unique experience that shouldn’t be missed.
- Take an Elephant Ride: Visitors can take an elephant ride up to the palace, which is a fun and memorable experience. The elephants are beautifully adorned with colorful decorations, and the ride up the hill is a great way to take in the views.
- Watch the Sound and Light Show: In the evening, there is a sound and light show that takes place at the palace. The show tells the story of the palace’s history and is accompanied by music and light effects. It’s a great way to learn about the history of the palace and the region.
- Visit the Museum: The Amber Palace Museum is a great place to learn more about the history and culture of the region. The museum has several galleries that showcase artifacts, paintings, and other historical items from the palace and the surrounding area.
- Take a Walk in the Gardens: The Amber Palace has several beautiful gardens, including the Kesar Kyari Bagh, which is a rectangular garden with raised flower beds and a water channel running through the center. Visitors can take a leisurely walk through the gardens, enjoying the beautiful flowers and scenery.
- Attend a Cultural Show: The Amber Palace hosts several cultural shows throughout the year, including traditional music and dance performances. These shows are a great way to experience the local culture and learn more about the region’s history and traditions.
Overall, there are many things to do and see at the Amber Palace, making it a must-visit destination for anyone traveling to Jaipur.
Here is some essential information about visiting the Amber Palace:
- Location: The Amber Palace is located in Amer, which is a town in the Jaipur district of Rajasthan, India. It is situated on a hill overlooking Maota Lake.
- Opening Hours: The Amber Palace is open every day from 9:30 am to 4:30 pm.
- Entrance Fee: The entrance fee for the Amber Palace varies depending on the type of ticket you purchase. For Indian citizens, the fee is around 100-200 INR, while for foreign visitors, it is around 500-1000 INR. There are also separate fees for photography and video recording.
- Getting There: The Amber Palace is located about 11 kilometers from Jaipur, and there are several ways to get there. Visitors can take a taxi, hire a private car, or take a local bus. As mentioned earlier, visitors can also take an elephant ride up to the palace.
- Dress Code: Visitors to the Amber Palace should dress modestly, as the palace is a religious and cultural site. This means covering shoulders and knees, and avoiding revealing or tight clothing.
- Other Tips: Visitors should bring comfortable walking shoes, sunscreen, and a hat or umbrella, as the palace can get hot and sunny. It’s also a good idea to bring water and snacks, as there are limited food and drink options inside the palace.
Overall, the Amber Palace is a wonderful destination to visit in Jaipur, and with the above information, visitors can plan their trip accordingly.