Rabindra Sarobar Lake in South Kolkata
Nature is our doctor who can cure us of physical disorders created from mental anxiety. Kolkata is the busiest city in West Bengal and therefore pollution is mandatory due to the huge number of vehicles all around. To get rid of such pollution a huge lake with lots of greeneries around has been developed by the Calcutta Improvement Trust (CTI) in the southern part of Kolkata. It stands on Dhakuria and it was previously known as Dhakuria Lake which is renamed as Rabindra Sarobar Lake dedicated to the great poet, Rabindranath Tagore. It is also known as the lungs of the city as it filters the polluted air of the surrounding area. The lake has made the life of the people of the surrounding locality easier by providing a healthy atmosphere and a chance to stroll around, jog and exercise into the lap of nature.
It is a wonderful recreational spot for people of all ages. No entry fee is required. The lake is absolutely open to all nature lovers. It is an artificial lake and serves as a suitable place for spending wonderful moments with your loved ones. This is just the right place to chill with your partner in charming calmness while the sunsets. Lakeside strolls, photo shooting, and enjoying the picturesque sunset are all you can do in this vast beautiful alluring lake.
Route direction to the lake
The nearest airport is the Dumdum airport which is 30 km away and the nearest railway hub is the Howrah railway station located at a distance of 12 km. The nearest metro station is Rabindra Sarovar metro. In the southern part of Kolkata, Tollygunge is the nearest railway station that stands on the Budge Budge section.
Features of Rabindra Sarobar Lake
- The park serves s a recreational area to the visitors and the surrounding area.
- Different species of trees, some of which are 100 years old are found here.
- Different migratory birds can be spotted in the winter season besides the lake.
- The lake is home to lots of fish species. Fishing is not allowed in the lake.
- There is an art gallery nearby known as the Thakur-der-gallery means the gallery of the gods that houses some of the idols of Goddess Durga that won awards in Durga Puja of Kolkata.
- There were some cannons left beside the lake in the year1920 which is preserved by CIT for modification. People believe that these cannons were used by the last ruler of Bengal, Siraj-ud-Daulah.
- Swimming clubs are there within the complex where young ones learn swimming.
What to do
- Boating and rowing facilities are there to roam around the lake in water.
- During inter, you can watch migratory birds around the lake. The place is also suitable for doing picnics in the winter months.
- Visit the football stadium and the theatre called Mukta Mancha on the northern side of the lake.
- Moving tea stalls could be found that sell beverages and snacks to the visitors.
Other nearby attractions
- There is the Rabindra Sarobar stadium to the north of the lake featured with an audiovisual training system.
- To the south is the Japanese Buddhist temple established by the founder of the Buddhist Association.
- There is also a mosque nearby on one of the islands of the lake connected by an iron bridge to the shore in the south. Under the bridge is a fish sanctuary that attracts lots of visitors.
- The Ramakrishna Mission cultural institute lies nearby in Golpark, within the walking distance of the lake.
- An auditorium named Pavilion Hall adjoins the stadium with the lake complex.
Although the lake is clean and fishes can breathe in it but gradually the Rabindra Sarobar Lake is getting polluted. So renovation plan is under the way hat is needed to modify the lake as lots of visitors are benefited with fresh air from this region. Every morning many people from nearby locations come here to enjoy a refreshed morning. This place is also suitable for a morning sunrise view. In the evening young lovers, tourists are seen to spend their leisure time in tranquillity as it also serves as an ideal romantic destination for dating with your partners.